Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Icy Deck, Reacher Shorts, and Arthurian Hasbro

Watching Skateboarders Yesterday
New England seems bound and determined to show the visiting Panamanians the wide variety of summer weather it is capable of. I warned my wife over lunch that Buddy the Wonder Pooch should be corralled and placed in his kennel due to an oncoming thunderstorm. When that good advice was ignored my wife’s uncle eventually chased him down and dragged him out of the bathroom down to his safe place. He was still cowering there when I returned home after work and remained incarcerated because an even bigger storm blew in accompanied by a lengthy session of hail, which neither of the visiting Panamanians had ever seen before. Deckzilla was completely covered in ice for a while.
Deckzilla Last Evening

Out Front
I thought the storms were finished for the night so Buddy was allowed out of his. It turned out the storms were not through for the night. My wife and I went out for a movie on date night and my wife’s uncle was once again in hot pursuit when another storm blew through. Buddy ended up urinating repeatedly during the pursuit so I had that to clean up when I returned home. He looked thoroughly apologetic as I lectured him on his psychotic storm behavior.
I finished up No Middle Name by Lee Child which featured the collected short stories of Jack NMN Reacher. I’d read many of these already but I can never get enough of Reacher and there were a sufficient amount of new ones to spur the purchase. The stories span Reacher’s entire life including his childhood, military career, and wandering days. I thoroughly enjoyed the read, even the ones I’d been through before, because, again, never enough Reacher. He is a guy you would not, however, want to be standing next to in one of the thunderstorms I described above as danger seems to seek him out, usually to its infinite regret. It was a nice sojourn in Reacher world as I wait for the next novel to come out.

While Buddy was watering the carpets, date night saw us at Transformers: The Last Knight. Anyone who goes to a Michael Bay directed transformers movie and complains has only themselves to blame. You know going in you’re going to be subjected to incessant CGI action, relentless noise, and plot holes Optimus Prime could easily walk through. I enjoyed the cacophony and thought this might be the best of the transformer movies although that isn’t exactly high cotton. Who else but Bay could audaciously link King Arthur and his knights with Hasbro’s transformers? The movie is overly long but it’s all breathless action so it goes quickly. The first three quarters focus mostly on the human characters which was welcome as Wahlberg is always watchable and Sir Anthony Hopkins (must have been a huge payday) looked to be having a supremely good time with tongue firmly in cheek. It was Bay at his best/worst which means an action packed summer popcorn-a-palooza. I liked it, so sue me.
She likes to Hang

And Swing

No comments:

Post a Comment