Thursday, June 15, 2017

Broken

There is no clearer evidence that the political discourse in our nation’s capital is broken than yesterday’s attack on the congressional baseball team (who even knew they existed?). While the blame clearly lies at the feet of the deranged gunman who appropriately met his fate at the hand of law enforcement, he’s also symptomatic of the tone that’s evolved over the years as access to instant media has grown exponentially.
There’s always been a vigorous debate of differences in congress, it’s part of the life blood of our republic. The evolution I reference has resulted in any compromise being unacceptable. Politicians run to the nearest microphone to cast bile. While I find our current president beyond contempt he is still the president, lawfully elected. I’ve seen quotes from some members of congress that state they cannot accept anything he supports. Obama faced the same kind of intransigence from the other side. We all end up the losers.
Speaking of losers, the gunman, an ardent Bernie Sanders supporter let the incessant and breathlessly reported political climate in Washington further infect his diseased mind to the point he tried to take lives. I certainly don’t blame Sanders who roundly denounced the act. I used to run by the field where the shooting took place during my last assignment in the Pentagon so this really touched a nerve with me.

I trace the start of the devolvement of cooperation back to the Clintons. That’s just me though , I admit to a blind spot with that benighted pair. Before Slick Willy took office there was certainly rancor but there was also governance. Someone as detestable to the liberal left as Ronald Reagan could still work with a democratic congress to get the people’s work done. Sometimes out of tragedy comes opportunity, the baseball game is supposed to be about putting aside differences and engage in a bi-partisan effort to raise money for charity. Here’s hoping this tragic event can serve as a springboard to greater bipartisanship. What can I say? I’m an optimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment