Thursday, June 22, 2017

Bus Time Adventures

Happiness
One of the lessons we are relearning with the First Blog Reader in residence is the drastic reduction in social mobility a baby imposes. You can’t just pick up and go somewhere without considering the ramifications of the shortest member of the group. I’m not complaining because this past week has been more fun than is purely rational. I, because I have to earn “more toys” money, am allowed to depart each morning for work. My wife however is in complete thrall, and happily so. When I suggested they come to my office so I could take them all out to lunch there was, therefore, a quick and enthusiastic acceptance of same.
Behind the Wheel

Grampa Showing her Around
As with most kids her age my granddaughter can readily identify a bus as they are ubiquitous in toddler tunes and shows. Wingman has done a fabulous job building up her fledging vocabulary and one of the words she loves to use is “bus”. This, of course, dovetails very nicely with my current profession and I was interested to see what her reaction would be when she got to see one up close. I was not disappointed. Her jaw literally dropped when I stopped the car inside the bus storage area. She pointed to the nearest bus and said “touch” and I thought she would explode when I didn’t stop there and actually placed her in the driver’s seat.
Olive Garden Breadsticks - Newest Fan
After some quick admonitions to not actually start the bus up and rapid catching of hands headed towards the ignition button she thoroughly enjoyed her time behind the wheel. She imperiously decreed that she had to sample each of the buses I had available. I gave her and my wife’s relatives a tour of the facility and my granddaughter was enthralled each time she saw a bus to point out. I’ve said before that life is about small victories and I count yesterday when I was able to impress my nineteen month old granddaughter as one of those.

The Deckzilla Pool is Still Fun Central
It was kind of a melancholy night as I thought we were losing her today as Wingman is currently on the road up from New Jersey to retrieve her. My daughter corrected me this morning and said the plan was always for Wingman to spend the night with us and head home tomorrow. In my own defense this plan was formulated during the wedding reception last Friday which sported an open bar. That just might explain my fogged recall of the details. 
Splashing Everyone within Range




No comments:

Post a Comment