Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Mummified

Who Wouldn't Buy Ice Cream From this Vendor?
The heat wave broke overnight but not before I had to spend another day with no AC in my ultramodern new facility. Something I noticed early on about the construction firm and architect who built this place – you do not want to be the person that misses a meeting. The missing person is always blamed for everything up to and including the weather. It’s always someone else’s fault. I think it’s a civilian thing.
Just Loves her Trampoline
The Panamanians were noticeably absent yesterday when I returned home from work. That mystery was soon shattered when they reported in from a distant mall claiming the neighborhood Mafioso had kidnapped them to that location. I may be embellishing that a bit. Left to our own devices the Wonder Pooch and I did some extensive reconnaissance of the DVR list because the news is just too depressing. I reminded my distant wife that it was Date Night and what time she had to be back for the movie. She acknowledged she would be back in plenty of time. So I went to the movies by myself last night.

I saw the latest Mummy movie with Tom Cruise as the lead. I was confused by his presence in what was really just a glorified B-Movie but Russell Crowe was also along for the ride as Doctor Jekyll (yep). I’m going to go out on a limb here because I know this movie is getting skewered by every self-righteous film critic in existence but I kind of liked it. It’s stupid and boasts gaping plot holes but this is a monster movie not Citizen Kane. It fields one of the scariest plane crashes I’ve ever seen on film and Sofia Boutella as the mummy is spectacular. She wakes up, courtesy of the roguish Mr. Cruise and is a little peeved after spending a couple thousand years buried alive in a pool of mercury. That does not sound like a lot of fun. Boutella exudes charm, even with body parts drooping off and her physicality is a huge plus. This movie isn’t for everyone but it’s a high octane monster mash and worth going to see if for no other reason than Ms. Boutella.

No comments:

Post a Comment