Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Aqua Girl

In Her Realm
The heaven sent week continued yesterday as the First Blog Reader continued to dominate with her presence. I spent my lunch hour at home under her supervision erecting her pool out on deckzilla because she is truly aquatically enthralled. I’d like to think she inherited that from me and she also loves to garden which we know she got from my Favorite Panamanian. We just have to work on the concept of keeping the mulch in the garden instead of spreading it across the lawn.
Directing Grampa at Lunch Time

Important Sampling
Putting the pool up right before her scheduled nap was probably not the smartest move but I’ve never been accused of discerning brilliance. The cool thing is my granddaughter is now old enough to bargain. As I put her down for her nap I explained the pool would be waiting for her when she woke up and acceded to her demand that her water toys would be in place as well. I returned home to find her stomping around the pool and squirting anyone that came in range with those same toys.





We decided an excursion was called for right after dinner and set out for the grocery store where she once again commandeered the shopping cart with the attached kiddie car. Grampa again became a hazard to fellow shopper navigation as I followed her imperious decrees around the store. We then hopped down the road to Meola’s for some ice cream, which she has apparently never had. She sampled a few of the offerings but was much more interested in the coin fountain which featured water for her splash around in. She was in constant motion with a grandfather in hot pursuit for the entire time we were there – so much fun.




I took in a late movie on a dateless date night. Child rearing is definitely a young person’s game and my wife was thoroughly exhausted by her day with the granddaughter. I took in Rough Night which seemed remarkably like a number of male oriented films where a stripper gets killed and hijinks ensue. In this case the cast was entirely female and the stripper was male which should have offered fertile ground. Instead there was a lot of charging around which seemed aimed squarely at getting to the next joke instead of building any kind of chemistry. I’d watch Scarlett Johannsen paint walls but she’s kind of lost here surrounded by more capable comedic actors. The movie also suffers with too little Kate McKinnon and too much Jillian Bell. It would have been much better off if those two had switched roles. There was a very funny cameo by Demi Moore and our favorite realtor Phil Dunphy as an oversexed neighbor couple. In the end this just wasn’t funny enough which is problematic for a comedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment