Monday, October 5, 2015

Zoned in

In a strange development, I had a weekend of complete rest. I hadn’t had one of these in a while and my wife became trapped (at least that was her story) in a local mall on Saturday so supervision at home was sorely lacking. I cannot remember the last time I was left completely to my own devices. The dreary rainy day contributed to my inclinations towards attaining a vegetative state. My wife “stopped by” the aforementioned mall after her hair appointment and the traffic backed up to a standstill. Instead of attempting the gridlock she went with one of her strengths – shopping. I could find nothing in yesterday’s newspaper about the reason for the traffic jam or if one even existed. Things that make you go “hmmmm?”
I love college football but rarely make time to sit down and watch it short of the final games of the season. I rectified that on Saturday as I proudly manned Couch Potato Position #1 which has been sadly neglected since the move to Worcester. I was switching between five separate games before settling on a couple. It’s so refreshing to see the game played where all the participants still care.

I'm told my alma mater had their homecoming this weekend. It’s testimony to their prowess at alumni communications that I didn’t know anything about it. The Pittsburgh college roommate texted me to ask if I was attending and I had to ask “which homecoming?” since we share high school as well as college. I’m going to blame my favorite son for this one as he is also a graduate of that fine institution and lives ten minutes from campus. I’m beginning to think he didn’t say anything because he was afraid we’d show up at his doorstep. (testing to see if he actually reads this thing)
"Action Shot" of the Red Zone Viewing
Sunday was definably the highlight of the weekend though. Since the Patriots weren’t playing my brother in law was available (he has to work when they do). This meant an opportunity to spend seven hours of commercial free football (their motto not mine) in the Red Zone with some of the finest people currently drawing breath. Keene Friend came down from New Hampshire while my sister, brother in law and his brother in law (with son) came up from Rhode Island. I think the consensus was the smaller living room was perfect for the mongoso sized television I own. My wife always made me set the couch far back in the old house, now we get up close and personal, almost like we’re in the game ourselves.
Everybody brought food and their usual sparkling personalities. My brother in law’s sister could not attend due to health concerns and fear of appearing in a photo published in this blog. She and I have a running gun battle about photos I’ve posted in the past. Her brother, always accommodating, provided this photo of her from a recent social gathering she attended. I’m not sure why she’s always angry with me about photos of her appearing here. I think she looks elegant here.
I cannot think of a better way to spend a day than to hang out with these people with the added bonus of the aforementioned commercial free football. Since everybody was part of a fantasy football league this led to some lively rooting for the oddest of combinations. We even checked in with the California variant of the league where Cali-Daughter and Wingman were also “zoning”. Wingman was locked in an epic battle with the Cantankerous One in this week’s edition of the game.
The Dinner Crowd
Somehow, with all the conviviality going on, my wife managed to create a superb steak dinner with all the trimmings. It was even timed to coincide with halftime of the 4pm games. I think she’s getting the hang of this whole NFL thing. Buddy was in seventh heaven with two of his favorite people in the whole world, sister and Keene Friend, in attendance along with all the semi-neglected food lying about. I could see the “low hanging fruit” look in his eyes. He was in constant motion and only had to be exiled to the basement on three different occasions, a new record for him.  
Buddy Waiting for Someone to Return
Sadly these type days seem to pass in the blink of an eye and these people have lives of their own to pursue so we had to say goodbye after the shortest seven hours I can honestly recall. Buddy was disconsolate to be left with only my wife and I and took up station by the front door hoping against hope someone would return. While I shared his hope I was less optimistic.

A Plane Flew With This Banner over the Cleveland Stadium Yesterday For the Entire Game
I had recorded the last Red Sox game of the year because it was also Don Orsillo’s last day as the Sox broadcaster. In a move that still boggles the mind he is being replaced after a season when he was one of the few enjoyable things about watching the Red Sox finish in last place again. As he’s done since the news broke he handled the game with his signature class although his partner Jerry Remy was obviously on the verge of tears. Don made a heartfelt thank you to the fans following the eighth inning which had a grizzled old fool like myself choking up. A telling gesture and one very eloquent as to his quality, the entire Red Sox team emerged from the dugout following the game and doffed their caps in Orsillo’s direction. This age-old baseball gesture spoke volumes to the esteem Don Orsillo earned with his fantastic work over the past fifteen years. Vaya con Dios Don, enjoy San Diego – there’ll be much fewer rain delays to fill out here. 
The Red Sox Gesture
Don's Response

No comments:

Post a Comment