Friday, October 16, 2015

Countdown Day and Abrazando Raizes

We’ve reached the final countdown day before my Favorite Panamanian heads west to become a grandmother. These last few days she’s been feverishly cleaning the house because we have yet another group of Panamanians coming to visit during her absence. Apparently my reputation for keeping a thoroughly hygienic house precedes me and does not meet her stringent standards. I’ve even been given pillow stacking lessons because we all know that’s important. Every time she doubts the wisdom of allowing friends to visit while I’m in charge of domestic spotlessness I remind her she’s going to California to meet our first grandchild – argument – over.
The three week long suitcase packing drill finally reached its inevitable conclusion last night with the weigh-in. The suitcases are now sealed and awaiting transportation to the airport on Saturday. This also means I will now have unfettered access to my closet; the floor in front of which having served as the chosen staging ground. There’s been a couple of dark mornings when I almost ended up executing what I’m sure would have been a graceful swan dive out the nearby picture window when I forgot about the lurking obstruction.
When she wasn’t cleaning something she was on the phone with her legion of friends and family ensuring I would be properly supervised in her absence. I’m amazed that I’m actually being trusted to get up each morning without the commander in chief to report to. All this is said in jest. It’s strange but as we’ve gotten older it’s become harder to be separated from each other despite the fact that it seems to happen more and more. I assume it’s part of my approaching codger-dom.

Roothuggers in Seville
One of the prices we had to pay with the First Blog reader’s impending arrival was missing out on the annual Roothugger Reunion. This year the Roothuggers (fellow Command and Staff College classmates and their spouses) left the USA altogether and gathered in the Iberian sub-continent hence they are now known as “Abrazando Raizes”. I’m not sure the Spaniards and Portuguese are prepared for what they are about to endure. One tree in particular has already been violated. My thoughts are with these superb people as they maintain the friendship that is so important to each of us. While I do wish we could have joined them there’s this whole grandchild thing which is, in fact, the ultimate trump card.
The Aforementioned Tree With its Raizes Being Abrazando

No comments:

Post a Comment