Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Green Mountain Deliverance

Two Natural Wonders
I’ve lost track of the number of years we’ve done this but yesterday marked our annual foliage day sightseeing trip. We really don’t have to leave home to see great color since we’re surrounded by the typical New England hardwoods festooned about Worcester’s many hills but since I became a civilian I’ve always gotten Columbus Day off. While the Italians and Native Americans may disagree on the Chris’ place in history – a free day is a free day. We didn’t have Wingman with us this year, much to his delight I’m sure.
Over the last decade my wife and I sneak away to travel some of New England’s back roads to sample some of the truly magnificent views. As you get older you realize that some things are worthy of wonder and since the remaining time allotted to enjoy them grows smaller each year –it’s all about taking the opportunities presented. The color was a little late arriving this year so I planned on heading north into Vermont’s Green Mountains instead of our normal Berkshire haunts.


We always traverse the back roads which more often than not present spectacular vistas away from the heavily traveled main routes. Yesterday temperatures were in the mid-70s so we had a lot of company as we wended our way north. We got off the highway in Brattleboro and immediately ran into a huge traffic jam, luckily headed in the opposite direction. Traffic was backed up nearly five miles going into the town.



We followed a river out of town and were immediately immersed in the peak colors which hadn’t descended south yet. We stopped at the first covered bridge we saw because that’s what you’re supposed to do. After getting back on the road we ran into a traffic jam of our own (what the hell was going on in Vermont yesterday?) as we got in a mile long convoy trailing a truck that was painting lines on the road.

Wife Stole the Camera

My wife started to complain about the slow progress until I pointed out that she always wanted me to slow down so she could take better pictures and she should file this in “be careful what you wish for” category. We eventually ditched the truck as our route took us on smaller and smaller roads. My map recon had us on what was represented as state routes which I thought was a safe bet. I did get a little nervous when the pavement ended in a couple places and the state route continued as a dirt road, it’s Vermont. We were in some fairly remote locations that reminded me nothing more than the old jokes you hear about Deliverance. Although we didn’t see any banjo players there was a decided lack of appreciable civilization. This of course made the object of the whole exercise – natural beauty – so much more abundant.

Okemo

Sad, Off Season Ludlow
I breathed a sigh of relief when the canopied roof covering our route gave way to more open areas and eventually an actual town, Ludlow. The town is dominated by the Okemo Ski resort. A ski town is a pretty sad place before the snow arrives. We stopped in hopes of scoring lunch but every restaurant we tried was closed. We did find one but were told the kitchen was backed up and it would be an hour before any food would be ready. We opted for a quick sandwich at Dunkin Donuts and my wife set out in search of shopping opportunities. By the time I found her she was fast friends with the friendly craft shop owner who made her a “great deal” on several purchases (that was her story and she stuck to it.)
I enjoyed travelling through the back roads for another reason as well. My mother grew up in nearby Rutland and always regaled us with stories of rural Vermont we inevitably passed through enroute to visit grandparents. I don’t spend enough time reflecting on her and yesterday gave me a chance to remember her at her best. In my mind she was defined by the cold, but colorful mountains of her home state.

After eventually prying my favorite Panamanian away from her new friend we wandered back towards New Hampshire and my home town. We stopped in to see my mother’s best friend who’s well north of 90 and still spry. She caught us up on her life and commiserated about the lost Red Sox season. We then kidnapped the exhausted Keene Friend who had just got home from work and was certainly not expecting us. We took him out to dinner and simultaneously tortured my wife who had to eat dinner while having TJ Maxx beckoning across the parking lot with no time to shop.

With My Mom's Best Friend Yesterday
We made it home after dark to a very relieved Buddy the Wonder Pooch who wondered at our lack of attendance at home. He refused to leave my side for the rest of the night. It was a very good day away from the distractions of home, enjoying nature, each other’s company, good friends, and reconnecting with the past.
And the Keene Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment