Monday, October 19, 2015

Mercurial Weather and Football Fantasy

I was charging around yesterday accomplishing all of the various tasks required to prepare for the work week ahead of the start of that football nirvana known as “The Red Zone”. One of the tasks was mowing the lawn which required its usual fifteen to twenty minutes (I just love being able to say that after years of hour long prior efforts at my old house). I accomplished everything in plenty of time to be safely ensconced in Couch Potato position for the start of festivities. Yesterday was also key because I was facing the Cantankerous One in Fantasy Football and would never hear the end of it if I failed to account well. It looks like I’m going to beat him which probably still won’t shut him up but that’s why it’s fun to have him in the league this year. The rest of us are entirely too quiet and respectful.
Snow Storm in October!

My operations manager stopped by for the first half of Red Zone to quell the incipient feeling of loneliness at the house bereft of the Favorite Panamanian. She checked in to insure I was toeing the cleanliness line when she heard I had outsiders inside the sanctum. In a side note reports out of California indicate my wife speaks very loudly on the telephone. This was revealed to me as if it was some sort of breaking news. I guess they forgot about the headphones I don when she is at her animated telephonic best. I think I miss her most on Sundays because we traditionally do so much together on that day.
Same Two Places A Short Time Later

An hour after the start of the game I looked outside to find the house encased in a rather vigorous snow squall. I want to go on record that mid-October is decidedly too early for this to occur. New England was up to its usual seasonal hijinks providing a sampling of at least three seasons over the past couple weeks. Barely an hour after the house was thoroughly pummeled by driving snow I looked back outside and there wasn’t the slightest clue it had happened – just another clear autumn day.

It was a very long wait for the only thing I really wanted to watch yesterday – the Patriots against the team that started the whole off season miasma we were forced to sit through. Everyone wanted another in the line of blowouts Brady and Company have administered on their revenge tour. They beat the Colts handily again although not without some challenges as the Colts have improved their defensive line. They did however pull a bonehead play that will live on for years in infamy, befitting this cretinous organization. I’m still incredulous the Colts thought this fake punt formation would work against a team as well prepared as the Patriots. The resulting implosion was satisfying to watch.
The Height of Stupidity - But Its the Colts
While everyone was hoping for the usual Brady mantra of serial touchdown throws to humiliate the opponent he took a measured approach in the 4th quarter. I think most people will misinterpret this but I think Brady was sending a message that he didn’t feel the Colts were worthy of one. His cold demeanor after the game as he left the field was diametrically opposed to his usual affable and gracious self. I loved it, even though I had to stay up until midnight to watch it.

The Assassin at Work Last Night
I was just about to doze off in bed when the phone predictably rang and the California loud speaker commenced to compare game notes. I don’t think she’s got the hang of the time zone differences yet. It was good to hear her voice though even if it did take another hour and a half to fall asleep. I’d forgotten about some of the more exotic movies available late into the night – scandalously, even on Sunday night.

With my wife's departure for warmer climes and the incipient grandchild, one of her biggest fears was relinquishing the rather tight control she administers on my work day attire. I never had to worry about this when I was in the Army since they always thoughtfully provided a uniform to wear. Since I became civilian my wife realized she'd married a true "fashion explosion" when it came to my style choices and I irrevocably lost my vote in the daily decision process. In that vein I'll publish my shirt and tie choice each day while she's gone so I can be properly counseled during our nightly chats. I did this a couple years ago and it provided fodder for months.
Today's Ensemble

No comments:

Post a Comment