Saturday, October 31, 2015

Firsting Buzzard and Electronic Pizza

The Founding Members of the First Friday Society
Friday could not arrive quickly enough this week. As with all weeks thus attired the week seemed to drag interminably – nature of the beast I guess. I never really caught up with my sleep from the epic and thoroughly enjoyable romp to Pennsylvania. Some things are more than worth the price.
Therese with Our New Mascot
All this being understood, the ceremony marking the First Friday of the Week was more than welcome. The added benefit was the attendance of my first boss when I became a civilian. I’m now doing the job she held when I was hired following my retirement from the military. She along with my excellent boss form the founding membership of the Worcester Chapter of the First Friday Society. She journeyed up from Connecticut where she now works to join us.
Taking his Rightful Place for the Absent Vulture
Therese, the fabulous beermaid from Brew City also had a nice surprise for us. A running joke is the spotty attendance record of my operations manager at First Friday celebrations. He has a very large personality and styles himself as a proud eagle when he emails out his weekly excuses for not attending. My counterfire always refers to him as a vulture instead of the noble eagle. Therese was brought into the jousting because she usually bears the brunt of his “personality” when he does attend. We walked in yesterday and Therese gave us a pet vulture to stand in for the again missing vulture. It was too funny and he quickly became part of the crew. We’ll use him like a hunting decoy to see if we can attract attendance for the actual vulture.
Would this be Considered Cannibalism?
It was a lot of fun catching up with my former boss although high on the disconcerting scale when she says her son who as barely out of diapers when I was hired is now over six feet and in high school. That goes down firmly in the “Yikes” category.

I returned to the empty house (if any house with the Wonder Pooch can truly be considered empty) after the all too fun First Friday celebrations. I was in quandary for dinner plans. Friday pizza was beckoning but I wasn’t confident leaving the house at that point was a wise course of action. I noted last week when I picked up a pizza that you could order delivery via the internet from that place.

Buddy, At Least, Was Impressed
I’d never ordered food over the electromagnetic spectrum but decided it was time to crush that failure. It all worked out much too easily, like, what the hell took you so long. A lot like my experience with on line bill paying. I was completely proud of myself for this meager accomplishment but my daughter rightfully called me on it when my nightly call to the California ladies went through. The scorn she exhibited when I crowed about my accomplishment was eloquent. I guess this is a pretty routine activity, at least for her generation. What the hell, I’m still proud of myself – life and its small victories. I shouldn’t have eaten the whole thing in celebration though. That act definitely goes down I the loss column.

No comments:

Post a Comment