Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Hunting Last

We’re now in the last few days of my favorite time of year. The autumn temperatures are heading south and it looks like windshield scarping will become a daily requirement soon. The remnants of Hurricane Patricia roll into town tonight with heavy rain and winds that has the potential to rob the trees of the truly spectacular colors they’ve managed this year. Funny thing about time – it doth march.
View Out Back This Morning - Soon to be Denuded
Yesterday was however a date that will continue to warm the hearts of Red Sox fans worldwide. Time is powerless to dampen the euphoria the 2004 team achieved with their first World Series championship since 1918. That lovable bunch of scruffy overachievers defines indelibility when it comes to memories. I clearly remember jumping up and down behind my couch down in Virginia screaming at the top of my lungs “They did it!” over and over again. That was so special and you’d have to be raised a Red Sox fan in New England to truly understand the generational impact of that memorable night. I‘m smiling as I write this.
Lots of Smiles Born That Night in 2004
I was without my date obviously last night but that’s never kept me away from a movie theater. I saw The Last Witch Hunter which should have been right up my alley and I guess it kind of was. Vin Diesel smirks his way through as an immortal hunter of magically endowed broom riders and is the only redeeming aspect to the film, well he and the odd Wilding, red headed witch. Michael Caine is only around for a couple scenes before sleeping off the rest of the plot (lot of that going around). There are some good action scenes but the director then slows the momentum to a virtual standstill, for no appreciable reason.

They obviously toned this down to achieve the PG rating. I think it would have made a kick ass R rated action movie, but we’ll never know. A great concept that wasn’t fully achieved; the over use of CGI made a lot of the fighting scenes incomprehensible; a lot of “what the hell just happened”. Frodo’s around looking decidedly less dangerous than the 90 year old Caine and Walter Mitty’s drunk helicopter pilot is appropriately scary. They were definitely aiming at a series of movies with this character – I think that hope died with the release of this. I should have loved this and definitely didn’t, ‘nuff said – pass on this.
Today's Fashion Effort - I am receiving Critiques from Left Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment