Monday, October 12, 2015

Politicians on Parade and Dallas Beatdown

One of my Gifts Yesterday - Still True I guess
The day after an epic high is bound to devolve to normal levels of human expectation. After my surprise birthday party (yes I’m still a month away from actually turning 60!) yesterday was set up for failure. First of all we had to say goodbye to the last remnants of the party. The Keene Friend made one of his patented early morning escapes while my favorite son and the ABFA hung around long enough to have breakfast with us before disappearing into the wilds of New Hampshire. We ate breakfast at a local diner we’d never been to before and it was a typical American diner where we sat at the counter and probably put on five pounds simply inhaling the ambient grease smoke. The food was typically awesome – I love eating in diners.
At The Diner Yesterday
After the depressing departure of my progeny the next door mafiosos came to the rescue by kidnapping us to experience another Worcester “cultural” event – the annual Columbus Day parade. It takes place in the historical Italian neighborhood around Shrewsbury Street and had all the schmaltz and tackiness you’d want in a parade – I loved it as I do most parades (no bagpipes though – serious letdown). The only other downer was the overabundance of politicians marching. With city election time bearing down on us the politicians had massed and were pressing serious flesh on the parade route (I love that I get to vote in Worcester this year after watching some of these bozos in action up close for the past ten years). They were also passing out candy which had the mafioso’s grandchildren in serious acquisition mode. Luckily they brought bags designed for canine refuse recovery which served admirably as makeshift candy bags. I have it on good authority they were unused prior.
Wife and I at the Parade


We were back home in time to miss only an hour of the red zone in all its commercial free splendor. The big event of the day was the return of the Patriots to game action playing against the Dallas Cowboys. I was a Cowboys fan for most of my life (still don’t understand completely why) until they signed Terrel Owens. At that point I gave my loyalty completely to my other team - the Patriots. I think that registers as a good decision. Especially yesterday as the Brady revenge tour notched another victim. The Cowboys threw a few wrinkles at the Pats early but they adjusted on the fly and delivered a beatdown to remind the league who they are. Next week is the most anticipated game of the year where the Indiana crybabies earn the deserved reward for their epic sniveling.

Somehow we eked out another win in fantasy football again, defeating the ABFA, for which I was roundly castigated by my co-owner – the favorite Panamanian. I’ve got today off from work and we’re heading out shortly for our annual leaf peeping escape. I think I’m going to have to go pretty far north into Vermont to find some color as the leaves are taking their time this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment