Thursday, October 22, 2015

Cali-Nesting and Cancellation Bumps

I’m receiving reports from the left coast that my wife and Cali-Daughter are into some serious nesting protocols. I got several updates yesterday on the assembly and sheet fitting for the upcoming First Blog Reader’s crib. My wife marveled at the advance of technology since our early parenting days. Apparently you can change the mattress cover by unzipping the central part without having to lift the whole mattress out. This is a major leap forward, at least according to my Favorite Panamanian.
Cali-Daughter Caught Mid-Nesting
It’s been an intensive week at work as I do battle with my old nemeses – Excel and our vintage 70’s scheduling software. As my wife is prone to comment – “well, if you’re busy at least the day is going to go by fast.” It’s amusing when the inconvenience in my life becomes one of her rare optimistic moments but that’s how we roll.
The Revolutionary Technology
I did get some bad news last night when Keene Friend called to report the demise of our planned trip to Pittsburgh. I’m bummed because it’s been a while since my last bona fide road trip with just the guys (much to law enforcement’s relief). Keene Friend has to work on Saturday which precludes the planned trip and my cherished opportunity to reacquaint myself with the truck laden traffic of the Pennsylvania interstate highway system (I think if you’re shipping anything anywhere on the East Coast that it’s required to pass through the Keystone State at some point). I briefly considered a solo trip but the drive back on Sunday after a Saturday night party with my college roommate didn’t even register on the common sense meter.
In another huge surprise, I went to see another movie last night. I thought I was attending Goosebumps in honor of my daughter and her teenage obsession with R.L. Stine’s books. I was summarily reminded by said daughter that it was her younger brother that read the Goosebumps series. She rather sniffily proclaimed she had much loftier standards and only read the teenage/young adult series by the prolific Stine. All I know was that for several of our military household movies I was unpacking what seemed like several boxes of nothing but Stine books.

The movie itself was a lot of harmless fun veering sharply towards the silly but still entertaining. The two young leads were especially good. Jack Black plays Stine living a reclusive life in a small Delaware town when all of his Goosebumps monsters escape from his books to terrorize the town. There’s enough humor and action to overlook the incredibly grating performance of the cowardly sidekick. Most of all I think they enjoyed poking fun at the genre. In spite of my misgivings going in I liked it. There was even the obligatory real life Stine cameo near the end.
Today's Fashion Explosion - Starting to Take Some Chances

No comments:

Post a Comment