Thursday, July 9, 2015

Stranded

Yesterday was a knock down drag out conference call with my recently immolated (thanks to my excellent boss) counterpart from our technology company. He was very punctual and a lot more responsive than he’s been in the past so there may be something to this whole burning in place technique. Here I was thinking I’d left that type personnel interaction behind me when I retired from the military. We ended up solving a lot of the problems we were concerned about. If their track record is anything to bet on though, I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. Whenever they fix one thing they inevitably break two others.
Papaya Size and Growing!
On a decidedly brighter side we received a phone call last night from the Cali-Daughter fresh out of her latest visit to the obstetrician. It was all good news with a strong fetal heartbeat and negative tests for all signs of potential problems. The best part was hearing her voice and then seeing the demanded photo to see continuing evidence of the first blog reader, reportedly papaya size at this point.

I also finished off John Ringo’s latest Sci Fi offering, The Strands of Sorrow. He brings the concluding chapter of his four book exploration of a zombie apocalypse starring some of his most interesting characters ever (and that is saying a whole lot). Two teenage girls assume major roles in the fight to re-establish human control of the USA. As usual Ringo is at his very best at describing the close combat scenes which have always been the strength of his books. He doesn’t disappoint here with riveting combat with the infected from the Caribbean to Florida to D.C. The youngest of the gals, Faith, emerges as the true hero of the series and Ringo gives her full throttle in this concluding epic along with her very own Abrams battle tank.

As busy as I’ve been, I’ve found myself losing time, as usual with a Ringo book, as I refuse to put the book down despite having more important things gnawing on the periphery of my life. He’s just that good. If you are a fan of military science fiction and you haven’t found Ringo’s work yet then you are in for a treat. A great book by one of my favorite authors.   

No comments:

Post a Comment