Monday, July 27, 2015

Neighborly Afternoon and Hula Explosion

Great Neighbors
I can definitely get used to this new neighborhood we’ve moved into. I always bemoan the amount of television I watch and we may have found the cure – moving into a neighborhood surrounded by friends. We were back on the next door Mafioso’s deck for most of yesterday for a conclave of the Worcester Chapter of the Panamanian Mafia and a tasty barbecue. I didn’t watch any television until well into the evening, which is a huge departure given the presence of a Red Sox game, Ray Donovan, True Detective, and the Strain but I didn’t miss them, even a little bit.
My Wife Sampling Some of the Fare
That is what the opportunity to hang out with friends will do for you. Since it was a school night I wasn’t sampling adult beverages which are usually an integral part of these type gatherings. I thought I had the best barbecue ever on Saturday with Wingman in Hartford but yesterday’s fare definitely gave that opinion a run for its money. Barbecued ribs on top of chicken lightly sprinkled with steak has to be the menu of the gods and then of course there was a couple helpings of my wife’s signature chocolate pie. I believe true consciousness was achieved. My wife made the mistake, despite my objections, of giving the Wonder Pooch a healthy snack of meat which I paid for this morning – more on that tomorrow.
Food Just Kept Coming
The area was threatened with thunderstorms but they obligingly moved around our hilltop perch to allow the afternoon to pass in conversation and truly bad jokes. What do you call a blind deer? No-eye-deah (you need to throw in the New England accent to make it work – if you’re a true masochist). The afternoon also allowed my wife to escape her latest all-consuming obsession – the upcoming baby shower for Cali-Daughter.
From the Other Side
That obsession returned in full and contributed to my lack of couch potato time last night. She had me designing invitations to her exacting specifications. She is not a gentle task master when it comes for anything she’s doing for one of our children – it has to be perfect (which admittedly is not my strong suit). I dazzled her with my command of MS Word and the different fonts available (classify her as “easily dazzled”).

Meanwhile up north my two sons converged to celebrate Favorite Son’s 30th birthday. Wingman’s band landed in Portland and we received a toothy update on the unfolding events. My wife always says they never show teeth when smiling for photos – they made sure to correct this for her. Apparently the prohibition of school night adult beverages didn’t survive the Maine border. I was so happy they got to spend the day together; birthdays should be special.

Dentally Appropriate Bro's in Portland Yesterday
Speaking of special the ABFA contributed to the celebration by posting photos from a less than well publicized event from their honeymoon – my son’s hula hula dancing experiment. They were attending a luau when he was selected to join the professionals up on stage in front of hundreds. I have to bow to the ABFA’s wisdom that the world needs to know (and see) more about this episode so I’ve included the photos as well.


I Believe He Gets His Hip Swaying Capabilities From his Panamanian Side

No comments:

Post a Comment