Sunday, July 12, 2015

Seaside Three OHHHHH!!!!!

The Fully Packed Car With a PO'd Buddy
At least my favorite son now understands why the ABFA had been so adamant about getting their new house's interior painted over the past week and why I've been so uncharacteristically vague about my plans for Saturday. The ABFA executed a perfect surprise party for him in which he had no clue as to what awaited him when he returned from a round of golf with his friends. His last successful surprise party was at ChuckyCheese over two decades ago.
Awaiting my Son's Arrival
My wife, I, and the Keene Friend left Keene with a car fully packed with ABFA requested accoutrements for the party as well as his big birthday present and a very self-important black dog who was a little upset to be so crowded in his normal travelling space. A long drive through weekend traffic to the seacoast had us working with the ABFA's parents to make final preparations upon arrival. The Keene Friend and I were specifically excluded from cupcake frosting for still unrevealed reasons. We amused ourselves making sure the beer was properly iced down.  The ABFA even created a special bar area devoted to my son's latest fascination - the Old Fashioned.
My Son Pulling Up

Totally Surprised


Son With the Architect of the Surprise - the ABFA
All of my son's friends gathered on time and moved outside when his best friend drove around the corner with him. It was obvious even from a great distance that he was completely surprised and immediately commented on his best friend's parentage. The ABFA achieved the total surprise she was looking for and it was cool to see him drink all the assembled friends and family.

The Rhode Island Contingent minus the Photogenic One

My Brother in Law Explaining Something to his Sister - Using Small Words
My sister, brother in law, and some of his family also traveled up from Rhode Island for the party. It was amazing to see his sister so far from her native lands - it's rare for a Rhode Islander to venture so far afield and you could sense her unease at the lack if Italians surrounding her. She spent most of her time in the party reporting my repeated attempts to score additional cupcakes to my wife.
Wife Son and I
I've often told my wife that both of our children have been blessed to have surrounded themselves with truly excellent friends. The evidence was in full flower yesterday as the crowd ebbed and flowed both inside the house and outside where a spirited corn hole tournament was followed by a fire pit created for S'mores. It was also worthy of note that these remarkable young people were completely welcoming towards those of us more age challenged.

Party at Full

My son's best man recently became a father for the first time and when his baby arrived my wife went into full grandmother mode, stealing the baby for extended times. As is the case with most new parents, I don't think they minded the respite. My wife's subtle as a neutron bomb suggestions to the ABFA and favorite son on the subject of their own childless state was explored with her usual pointed approach.
My Wife in Gramma Mode

The mom Reasserting Control
Although cupcakes were the chosen pastry of the party, the ABFA did buy a small cake so my son could wield "Bonecrusher" in accordance with its life purpose. I was trying to get him to take a full swing but more common sense prevailed. I don't think he wanted frosting exploded onto the freshly painted walls. 
My Son Cleaving with Bonecrusher
Buddy, due to his well chronicled failure to maintain proper party etiquette, spent most of the party in the basement. He was able to work his charms on both the ABFA's mother and my sister who regularly checked on him and insured I was properly providing the needed emotional support. It was another one of those days that went by entirely too quickly, as days filled with love and fun are wont to do but its yet another one in the bank of memories which I'll have for the rest of my life. I didn't even go to the point where I bemoan the fact that my youngest has reached three decades of existence - that would raise too many questions as to my own approaching decrepitude.
Fully Girded (and lubricated) for Return Trip
All too early, actually much later than we planned, I girded on Bonecrusher, loaded Buddy in the now empty car and my wife got behind the wheel for the long drive back to Keene. Some things are worth paying for with long drives into very dark nights, yesterday's party certainly fills the requirement more than adequately.

No comments:

Post a Comment