Thursday, July 2, 2015

Headless Virgins, Tatum Pecs and Signs Pointing Up

The Most Important Sing Went Up First
I came home from a very trying day at work to find my favorite Panamanian had taken the plunge and finally made decisions on where the many framed pictures and artwork would be placed around the new abode. This is a huge step and marks the beginning of the end of the move in phase. The pictures had been strewn around the house in piles awaiting the head decorator’s Solomon like cogitation to mature to a decision point. Since that decision point can prove elusive once made, I immediately started applying nails to walls.
Mirrors as Well
It’s weird how a house doesn’t feel like a home until we start hanging stuff on the wall. Buddy is exceptionally pleased since the power and range of his tail in relation to the low lying piles of fragiles has been a target of discussion since we moved in. I was not crazy enough to attempt putting up my wife’s vast kitchen signs without her direct guidance. That was a couple hour episode of “will battles” as I continually objected to her evolving vision while trying to place signs to cover holes her earlier visions created.
The Kitchen Signs
We took a break long enough to go to the movies again. She recruited the next door mafia member to see Magic Mike XXL since a healthy supply of estrogen was apparently required before entering. The movie theater wisely chose to coincide a “guy’s” movie alongside this ultimate of chick flicks. In a move that will surprise literally no one that knows me, I eschewed the opportunity to swoon over Channing Tatum’s glutes and chose instead to sample the misogynistic musings of Seth McFarland in Ted 2.
Sequels are tough in comedies, especially given the first Ted wrung about as much humor as possible out of a self-aware and thoroughly foul mouthed teddy bear. I was therefore pleasantly surprised that this wasn’t a cheap grab for money by repeating all of the gags from the first movie. There are some incredibly funny one liners that keeps you on your toes as the totally inane “plot” unwinds. The inanity is to be accepted; let’s be honest, we’re dealing with a potty mouthed stuffed toy, you can’t approach this expecting Shakespeare.
It remains what the original was, incredibly, if somewhat guiltily, funny. Amanda Seyfried is a welcome addition as the love interest for Wahlberg and even pokes some serious fun at her signature (Gollum) eyes throughout. There are some of the funniest cameos in recent cinema included, some of which come out of deep, deep left field. Liam Neeson buying Trix was funny on so many levels. The final loving send up a comic con with a gay Lt Worf stalking geeks alongside the Tick was too funny. You cannot take yourself too seriously and still enjoy a movie like Ted 2, which I did thoroughly.

The crowds from the two diametrically opposed movies emptied out at the same time as couples reunited in the lobby. I merged to find two very frisky Panamanians reveling in their two hour dose of Mr. Tatum. If I had gone to the movie with them I would have been the only male in the theater. They didn’t even ask how my movie was but went on to regale me with their experience while my wife made plans to teach me some dance movies (not going to happen – I just need to get that on the record).

My Recent Faux Pas
I attempted repairs of the Virgin Mary statue which was beheaded when a member of ISIS snuck into my backyard after I moved it briefly to trim the grass. This shall not stand, actually it did, albeit without a head. I stopped by the hardware store and bought the most potent adhesive I could find in hope of restoring my wife’s backyard declaration of her Catholicism (mine too I guess). I left it leaning against a pillar in the basement hoping the repair takes. Pray for my sins.
She's Not the Only One Praying

No comments:

Post a Comment