Saturday, July 18, 2015

Bliss Time

Late post today due to recovery efforts from enduring total bliss last night. I’ve searched the world over (literally) but I have yet to discover a better time than hanging out with lifelong friends. Throw in a few (well maybe more than a few) adult beverages and a New Hampshire lakeside cottage for a setting and we’re talking something fairly close to heaven on earth. More on that inn a bit; my wife continued her remarkable recovery yesterday. When I came home for lunch I found her and the next door Mafioso hard at work creating some typical Panamanian food. It involved some thoroughly washed corn (still don’t understand that) that was then ground into a mass and cooked. I took solace in a thick steak.
The Start of My Run Off the Dock
I was able to check out of work a little early and we hit the road for Keene and a resumption of the party we had to leave on Sunday with Keene Friend and the Pittsburgians who were ensconced in a cottage on Spofford Lake. Unfortunately Buddy could not join us due to their rental agreement but Keene Friend (as he is wont to do) solved the problem by offering his kitchen as a temporary kennel for the Wonder Pooch. We dropped Buddy off and were shortly sitting back on the lakeside dock with Keene Friend and the Pittsburgians. Another high school friend and his family were also on hand which added to the festivity.
Grace Was Not Achieved - The Pittsburgh Roommate Watching from the Water
I wasn’t going to miss out on another chance to take a dip in the lake of so many youthful memories. For some reason lost in the mists of the long evening my Pittsburg college roommate and I took to taking long runs off the short pier to demonstrate the loss of the our youthful athleticism. Our respective wives rushed to photographically capture the embarrassing lack of grace for posterity.
It Was Still a Lot of Fun
As the sun set we moved back up the stairs of hell to the porch for a great dinner as Keene Friend 2 showed up as well as a few other high school mates. As I stated above, I really don’t know where the time went but we noted the coolers were severely depleted by the end of the night. Memories were resurrected and massaged to be more socially acceptable to the long suffering wives, forced to sit through yet another semi-high school reunion.
The Porch Crew - Keene Freinds 1, 2 and 3 and Fabulous Pittsburgians
My wife drove me back into Keene late in the evening to let Buddy express his discontent at is exclusion. He took his frustration out on the foliage surrounding Keene Friend’s yard. He relented when we revealed a surprise hidden by Keene Friend for his favorite canine friend – a very large bone. By the time we returned to the lake the party was winding down as our collective will to continue was intact but being challenged by the attendant middle aged physical plants being asked to perform.

Buddy and his Prize
It was too much fun as the Pittsburgians once again cemented their reputations as the best party hosts currently drawing breath. It was a great old New England lake cottage with walls between the bedroom open to a common ceiling. This led to some very funny Walton like verbal interchanges between bedrooms until my college roommate announced an end to discussion by started his trademark snoring. I think I lasted a whole ten whole seconds later. It was a sleep of the very, very content.

No comments:

Post a Comment