Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tropical Separation Anxiety As Snarkiness Bill Comes Due

Okay, I get it.  I should not have enjoyed lolling about on the tropical beaches of Panama and then crowing about it on this blog while friends and family suffered through another polar vortex back home.  They say karma can be a stone cold biaaatch and payment for all of my snarky comments was made yesterday.

I got up a couple hours early and tried to beat the worst of the snow storm into work.  This storm was having none of that type cowardice though.  The snow plows, even that early in the day, simply could not keep up with it. It took nearly an hour to cover the 14 miles into work despite almost no traffic whatsoever.  I watched the storm out my office window for the rest of the day and it was impressive, more for the amount of snow that quickly accumulated than anything else.  I took this series of hourly photos out my office window over the morning yesterday.




On Monday is snowed all day with negligible accumulation (at least in Worcester) but this storm meant business.  We easily had 10 inches on the ground by noon time and the storm just kept coming.  It’s always fun when you work in the transportation business and you get issued a day like this.  I have newly polished respect and admiration for the bus drivers who waded through the tough environment all day.

The best part was once again being in New England where we know what to do with snow, even when it comes in such generous amounts.  I’ve lived in places further south where this type storm would have paralyzed the place for a week.  People were out and about as the roads were plowed all day long – no one panicked (well except for a couple misplaced southerners up here to check on their electric buses).

I dreaded the ride home but it turned to be much easier than the morning commute as the snow, while still falling, had lightened up considerably and the plows were starting to get ahead of it.  As I’ve written about before, my home is situated in some sort of hole in the snow delivery matrix where we always get much more than we’re authorized.  Yesterday was no different.
The Driveway is Between the Sticks
I pulled up to the driveway and didn’t even think about attempting a vehicular ascent.  I probably should have remembered to bring the garage door opener with me the first time I made my way up the hill (one of those – “You are such an idiot” moments as I returned to my car). 
From Inside the Garage When I Finally Made it Up on my Second Trip
Buddy launched into apoplectic mode as soon as he saw all the snow and was soon charging around the yard looking more like a huge black bunny as he had to leap to make any kind of progress.  I was firmly locked in a lover’s embrace with my new best friend – the snow blower.  This machine is nothing short of awesome and is so much more reliable than its tractor borne predecessor. 
My Bestest of New Friends
We had well over a foot of snow and it made short (if cold) work of removing it. I even knocked out the neighbor to our front’s small parking space. 
Buddy Coming in for a Break from Cavorting
The snow continued to fall and I knew I would be back out there when if finally decided to stop but I was in the house before night fell which was kind of a win.  I texted a couple photos to my wife in Panama and her family was shocked.  While we were talking on the phone, they were making noises about arranging some sort of emergency rescue mission while my wife assured them this was a routine event up here.  This led to rampant Panamanian speculation on my level of sanity.
My Wife talking to me on the Phone Yesterday
I'm Guessing a Little Warmer Down There
Buddy and I completed the pillaging of our DVR list over the evening while waiting for the snow to stop (scheduled for around 8pm). This storm just refused to stop though and since the school age kids next door (more so their mother) would not appreciate a midnight ride of the magnificent snow blower (I think this is true love at this point) I postponed until this morning.  (Note to self – it’s always much, much colder in the morning).

I believe I have been properly castigated for my snarkiness.
Was this Only a Couple Weeks Ago!!!!
Last Time - I Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment