Monday, February 10, 2014

Ambush Sprung Prematurely and an All Too Infrequent Keene Thunder Run

An unnamed source provided me with exactly the type of weapon I needed to exact some well deserved revenge for a nefarious Christmas night attack on my unsuspecting self.  After laboring over a hot stove for hours preparing Christmas dinner (I know that sounds kind of lame) I inadvisably fell asleep on the couch with my hands in a prayerful pose (granted a bit out of character).  My son in law seized the opportunity to photo bomb and capture the pose for posterity – hence the need for revenge.
The Vicious Christmas Night Attack
The unnamed source provided me with a picture of the perpetrator of this heinous act in exactly the same pose and I knew I had the perfect crew-served weapon to initiate a textbook L-shaped ambush.  Since I was hurried yesterday (see below) I decided the ambush would be sprung this morning.  Unfortunately my daughter could not maintain an appropriate level of operational security and revealed the location of the ambush to the intended victim last night.  Since the most important element of an ambush is surprise I contemplated foregoing the attack but then I reconsidered knowing the importance of training.  Assaulting through the kill zone does feel fairly cool, in a vengeful kind of way.
Vengeance is mine - Sayeth the Dancer
I was hurried yesterday because I escaped the empty house for a run up to my home town to spend some time with the Keene Friend on one of his rare days off from work.  This was appropriate since he was the other victim of the reprehensible Christmas night attack. 
I Love This View of Keene Whenever I return
The Church and Main Street Just Say "Home" to Me
We started out with a reverse of our usual routine – at the Elm City Brewery for lunch.  Since my friend gets these days off only once every two weeks we tried to make the most of it and planned to see a movie.  The only movie that fit the time schedule imposed by an evening snow shower was Vampire Academy, something I never would have seen excepting the only other choice was the Lego movie (and that was not going to happen).
Lunch Here for a Strange Short Stint
It turned out to be okay in a very escapist, not expecting much, kind of way.  There were some very funny moments as the good vampires with all their high school foibles intact fought against the bad vampires seeking their destruction.  It was pure escapism but again, some funny moments and much better than the appalling Twilight morass.   
We then took some time driving around and checked out some of the houses for sale I found on the internet as part of the plan to eventually move back to Keene.  This was extremely interesting and the houses more than fit the bill; now just have to convince a certain Latina.

Our travels bore us inexorably towards a couple downtown pubs (Pour House and Penuche’s) to explore their readiness to provide the missing t-shirts from our earlier crawl wardrobe.  They were still both shamefully bereft of apparel options but we discovered that they still served beer.  We had the inevitable meet up with a fellow high school classmate and I saw my first view of the winter Olympics in both bars.  I was again struck by the drive and drama of the little seen sports performed by world class athletes.  Since the sound was turned off I was spared the cloying NBC announcers comments.
This Guy Was Looking Over My Shoulder at Dinner
Keene Friend Opined Several Theories About His Weaponry
We returned to form with dinner at Margarita’s which was uncharacteristically empty.  I think some of the new bars in town have eroded their fan base and they haven’t responded yet.  They still make a pretty good steak though.  I’m thinking about sampling Scores’ efforts in that all important scenario next time.

It was a hurried program of events for one Sunday afternoon but we crammed a lot in and had a lot of fun.  A great escape for me as I finally got to spend some time with a friend who’s work schedule has had a devastating effect on his ability to socialize. 
Keene Friend in an Empty Margarita's
The snow storm showed up a little early as I made my way south from Keene and the first thirty minutes were kind of treacherous. I was worried what conditions would be like in snow central, by which I of course mean Charlton.   Then, in a surprise that rivals anything I could have predicted, the snow actually stopped as I approached my home.  This was so totally out of character that I was a little worried about some sort of impending biblical level event.  Order was restored as the snow did eventually show up and required the attentions of my snow blower this morning – order being restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment