Saturday, February 1, 2014

Consuming First Full Day

Everywhere I went yesterday (and it was a fairly mobile day) people were commenting about how great it was that it had warmed up so much.  I’ll ask them to forgive me for not sharing their enthusiasm for 36 degree temperatures.  The day before I was operating 60 degrees warmer than that!

My son stayed overnight after his airport rescue mission and commuted to work from here.  I had a hefty slate of tasks to perform over the day including a visit to the dentist which was a perfect analogy as to my post-tropical feelings for the prospects for the day. 

My first and most important task was to ensure the continued vitality of my wife’s virtual jungle of tropical plants which had to survive without their weekly watering in my absence.  My wife was certain I would return to a wasteland of dead or dying plants and that I would not be up to the effort of revitalizing them.  While I completely understand (and endorse) her lack of faith in my horticultural abilities somehow these plants and I survive (one depends on the other, don’t you know) each year during her prolonged absences. 
The Bougainvilleas (thank God for spellcheck) Survive!
While I was carting the jugs of special temperature appropriate water to her vast collection of plants I noted they seemed to be doing just fine.  There are these things called droughts in nature that my wife’s plants have never had to endure but apparently their genetic code was intact enough to insure survival.  I was however responsible for sending her photographic proof that her favorite bougainvillea plants were alive (maybe I shouldn’t have asked her where they sell bougainvilleas around here when we were in Panama – caught hedging my bets).

With task number one completed I headed outside with two large bags of road salt to administer a coup de grace to the ice that attempted to thwart my return.  I had done a fairly admirable job in the limited light conditions of the night before with my snow blowing operations.  By the end of the day the salt and about an hour of chopping with a shovel had the driveway clean and no longer an embarrassment to my male pride.  Those balmy 36 degree temps also helped more than a little.

Since I fell a little too much in love with blogging yesterday (see yesterday’s post for evidence of that) I suddenly found myself running a much tighter schedule than planned.  I definitely had to recover the wonder pooch down in Rhode Island before noon but since my computer time ran so long I was now butting up against the time I would have to return for that cherished dentist appointment. 
The Buddy Welcome
There ensued a mad dash to Rhode Island where a couple of traffic laws may have been fractured.  I pulled up to my sister’s house and was immediately greeted by Buddy’s throaty barking.  I cringed a little knowing that my sister and her family had undergone a couple weeks of this type of noise anytime someone had the temerity to walk down their busy street.  Buddy perfected frozen pool walking during his stay and got to know the mailman (who may need medicinal enhancement before approaching my sister’s house again).
Landing His Devastating Right Cross
My mission was more of a snatch and grab since I was going to bend a few more traffic laws if I was going to make my dentist appointment on time. I felt bad that I didn’t have more time to spend with my brother in law and nephew especially after the key roles they played in maintaining Buddy in the style he has become all too accustomed to.  I threw the camera to my brother in law to capture Buddy’s typical welcoming ceremony.  He did apply his customary castigatory face scratch to demonstrate that he didn’t fully approve of not being included in whatever travels I had undertaken.
Just a Flesh Wound
I made it back to the house in under an hour (please do not mention this to Rhode Island and Massachusetts state police authorities) which seemed to stretch the laws of probability.  Buddy immediately headed for the woodline to ensure the squirrels understood the law was back in town.

I even had a leisurely ten minutes to waste before dental responsibilities.  My wife and I have gone to the same dentist office since I retired from the military.  Last year the head dentist retired and the practice was bought out by an Asian-American dentist with a great name, Dr Han Solo.  He’s charged with trying to stem the tide of destruction that too much diet coke imposes upon my teeth.  He looks nothing like Harrison Ford. 

I was in for a cleaning and found I had a new hygienist.  The elderly lady I’d seen for the past few years left and a very nice younger version was now my assigned savior.  She was very thorough and a lot more muscular than her gentle predecessor.  She told me to raise my right hand if I needed her to stop if it became too painful.  As if that same male pride would ever permit such a cowardly act.  She did test that courage repeatedly and was very thorough.  Technology continues to amaze as the dental x-rays now are computerized and they stick some sort of sensor in your mouth and when they snap the x-ray it immediately appears on a screen; it was kinda cool (who thought a dentist visit could ever be described as that).

The rest of the day was absolutely consumed with grocery shopping, house cleaning (once again learning how hard my wife works in keeping this monster up), washing Panama out of my wardrobe (and then storing said wardrobe until summer), and gaining a bit of revenge on my canine companion. 
Buddy Coming up for Air and Assessing Escape Routes
Buddy was long overdue for a bath, something that was supposed to happen before I left.  Since he added another scar to my face I thought it would be appropriate to impose one of his least favorite events on him.  Getting a ninety pound resistant lab into a bathtub wasn’t exactly a cake walk.
Clean But Definitely Unhappy About It
Our aquatic wrestling match eventually led to a cleaner dog but I then had to corral him long enough to dry him off.  It would have been comical except he was so damned slippery and seemed to think it was some kind of cool new game.  My wife would have been horrified by the wet dog careening around the house with me in toweled hot pursuit.  While Buddy continued the drying process in his cage I tracked down all the different puddles which testified to the epic chase.

The MEF granted my son an additional day’s dispensation so he came home after work.  We were shortly seated n Friday’s favorite haunt – Zorba’s.  The gorgeous waitress I have worshipped chastely from afar immediately came over to check out my son.  She even introduced herself and I learned her name for the first time.  Apparently my son is a lot more fascinating than I am, further evidence of my dotage thereby confirmed.
Zorba's Typically Awesome Pizza
After ensuring a photo was sent to Panama to report I was properly supervised we settled down for a really fun time over pizza and beer.  I’ve been blessed over the past two weeks to spend time with both my daughter and son and I can’t get over what remarkable people they’ve turned into.  My son and I shared a great conversation ranging from wedding plans, movies (the shared enthusiasm for a rebuilt Robocop soon), work (building an embassy in the far reaches of Central Asia isn’t as much fun as it sounds), and of course my absent wife. 
The Pizza was Almost as Good as the Conversation
It was so good to have him around to ease the transition from the full family time of Panama to my solitary sentence which still has a moth to run.  We ended the night back on the couch watching movies as Buddy tried to destroy a recalcitrant tennis ball.  My son, that beloved purveyor of cupcakes, leaves today as his dispensation concludes and I already miss him.  Buddy definitely needs to step up his game.
Couch Potato Position #2 Ably Manned and Talking to His Mother In  Panama

No comments:

Post a Comment