Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Snow Again – But You Already Knew That

Standard View Outside my Office Window - Yesterday's Storm
Yesterday saw yet another of the seemingly endless series of snow storms this winter.  It started right after sunrise and snowed steadily until 5pm.  It’s become almost a routine if the roads weren’t afflicted with so many flatlanders trying to drive.  Their participation made last night’s commute nearly an hour and a half. 

A truly startling turn of events awaited me when I returned home.  Instead of the forecasted 6-8 inches (which usually means 9-11 in reality at snow central AKA my house) there was only 5 inches awaiting me.  The snow blower almost snorted in derision at this meager amount before hurling it with no small amount of contempt off the driveway. 
Only 5" - a True Piece of Cake
Due to the constant succession of snow storms and cold weather I’ve used my wife’s four wheel drive car to get to work every day since I returned from Panama.  It’s been a couple weeks since I’ve seen the pavement on my street as it’s been too cold to melt the snow/ice covering it.  While it’s been a Godsend having the car so available to negotiate the icy roads I cringe when I look at it.  She (like most Panamanians) takes an inordinate amount of pride in keeping her car clean and shiny.  After three weeks of this winter – not so much; the salt has not been kind.

Definitely Hitting the Car Wash Before She Returns
My wife reported she was enjoying hanging out with her mother and somehow ended up behind the controls of her mother’s sewing machine.  This was so newsworthy that her mother snapped a picture to memorialize the event.  In one of her patented ambush moves my wife asked that I take a picture of her plants and send it to her immediately.  She doesn’t completely trust the care of her beloved flora in my less than expert hands.  I proudly sent her a picture of her bougainvilleas which are flourishing (major mystery there).  I breathed a huge sigh of relief that she hadn’t asked for a picture of the state of cleanliness in the kitchen (and the attendant heart attack it would induce) or her car.
Seamstress Wife

The Flowers Live!
Even though there was a light dusting of snow over night I rested the overworked snow blower this morning to see if the sun would melt it off during the day.  If it does that would end my daily snow blowing exercise at six consecutive days, a new record.  We’re even supposed to get some rain later today as it finally warms up.  That is, except for what a meteorologist this morning called, “those poor people in the Worcester hills” where it will be a couple inches of heavy wet snow.  Seven days and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment