Thursday, February 13, 2014

Monumental Tropical Birthday

I came into work early today since we’re getting our next dose of winter weather, 8-12 inches of snow over the next 24 hours.  This will allow me to leave early do some of the requisite snow blowing during daylight hours although this storm will definitely require another early morning session tomorrow (yes my thoughts do run to eventual winters in Panama).  Well at least I’ve got the beginnings of a really nasty cold coming on, so I’ve got that going for me as well.  I can’t complain because this is the first time in a very long time that I can recall being sick (luckier than most). 
Here We Go Again - Right on the Edge of the Pink
This is the same storm that’s been playing havoc in the southern states over the past couple of days.  I really liked living in the south except for days like this.  Just an inch of snow would paralyze the place and call for a frenzied panic in the streets.  This was frustrated for a displaced New Englander.  I’ve always opined that they shouldn’t issue snow to people who do not know what to do with it.  The snow’s falling pretty heavily now but traffic is moving and people showed up for work and life goes on.  I don’t think my many friends in the south can say that right now.

Life with Buddy continues to be interesting.  He now believes he should be rewarded for getting plastic bottles out of the recycling bin in the basement and depositing them (properly chewed of course) in my lap while I watch TV.  I think he finally got the point that I wasn’t enamored of his reverse recycling efforts when I threw the milk bottle (it was small and very light and didn’t hit him anyways so calm down), that I had put down there no less than five times, at him.  I get my revenge tomorrow with his annual visit to the vets and the attendant puncturing. 
Her Mother Took her Twin Daughters Out to Breakfast
I spoke to my wife several times yesterday as she made her way through her birthday.  She kept a pretty frenetic pace up for the entire day which made me feel good since she wouldn’t have budged from the house if she was still up here (See comment above about snow and people who shouldn’t be exposed to it).  She spent a good part of the day speaking with friends who called from around the world to wish her a happy birthday. 
Lunch Back at Home With a Favorite Aunt and Uncle
She also saw the many heartfelt comments on the Facebook post I put up and was touched by the kind words from so many.  She claims to be missing me a lot but I was able to temper that emotion with today’s weather report.  I treated her and the entire family to dinner last night in honor of my wife and her twin sister.  It sounded like they had a spectacular time and they even got her father to accompany them on a rare foray away from home for him.  I’m pleased this special lady was able to have the singular day she deserved.
On Tuesday night I took my date (i.e. myself) to see Monuments Men, George Clooney’s World War 2 drama about saving art from the Nazis.  Clooney also directed and fell victim to one of his failings – self-importance.  Clooney has a tendency to get preachy and he does here which masks a pretty good story ably told by some really good actors, Clooney among them.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a John Goodman performance that is not memorable – one of the best character actors, ever.

The story jumps around a little too much, entirely too episodic.  Clooney couldn’t help himself with some manufactured drama at the end with the Russians that was kind of silly.  This was still a well crafted, if a little frustrating film, telling an important story.

No comments:

Post a Comment