Monday, February 3, 2014

Super Sunday Meltdown

I awoke early Sunday morning on the couch of my sister’s house with her blind, emaciated zombie-like cat seemingly trying to cough up one of its lungs near my feet.  Since I did not want to acquire infamy currently held by the Keene Friend as an animal death whisperer I decided an early morning departure was called for before the beast expired.  I also had to exit Rhode Island before my sister’s sister in law’s assassination squads became active.

Buddy was only to happy to jump back into the car which I had apparently parked in very creative fashion after being driven home by my brother in law from McShawn’s the night before.  Luckily the late Saturday night application of that wonder drug Alka Seltzer was performing the needed miracle and the drive back was more than easy. 

I had to make another run to the supermarket to replenish my bacon stores which had been severely depleted by the weekend visit of my son.  I also had to lay in supplies for the Superbowl.  Originally I’d hoped to have three of my high school classmates to join me, my sister and brother in law for the game.  The Keene Friend had to work (of course) and the Cantankerous Friend has gone off the net except to rail against a conservative tormentor on Facebook.  The last remaining hope called on Sunday to say he had to stay in Keene due to a very sick father. 

This left me with an abundance of whoopee pies and other assorted snacks which led to the declaration of another half-day Keto vacation.  Cake and beer has always been one of my favorite combinations and I looked forward to investigating if that transferred to whoopee pies as well (it does!).   
My Wife Back in Las Lajas on Saturday - Hopefully Thinking About a Certain Blog Writer
I had a long conversation with my wife who reported she spent all of Saturday back at Las Lajas beach and then followed that up with dancing at Joron Zebeda until 3am.  She even sent pictures to remind first of how beautiful she is and then how much fun Panama is.  She was a little worse for wear and admitted to a serious lack of energy.  She claimed I had texted her a picture from McShawn’s the night before along with a message and I had absolutely no memory of doing that.  This didn’t surprise me but I was still a little concerned at the memory lapse.  Buddy decided to interrupt our conversation by depositing his recently consumed lunch at my feet in a truly remarkable Technicolor yawn (I’m guessing his recent diet of feline leavings is to blame for his sensitive stomach). 

This is a Truly Fun Crew - So Wished I was there
Beautiful Beach and Lady
The Great Surf at Las Lajas - I Could (and did) Spend Hours Out There
Back At Joron Zebeda that Same Night - Impressive
It was so pleasant to have my sister and brother in law to share the game with me.  We had way too much food for just the three of us and Buddy was constantly volunteering to help out with the excess.  His palate went unrewarded due to his earlier deposit.  My brother in law admitted he had sent the picture to my wife along with the photo message the night before so my sanity felt a little more secure or as secure as it ever gets.
The Superbowl Crew and Food Table - Buddy Stalking Below
I told them going into the game that I didn’t care for either team but hoped Peyton Manning would pull one of his patented big game falters and thuggish Richard Sherman would sustain some sort of non-life threatening injury.  I received both of my wishes as Manning was truly in melt down mode for most of the game and Sherman was carted off the field late in the second half.
Manning's Face as Ball Sails Over His Head on First Play of Game
Manning’s annoying habit of posturing and gesturing histrionics behind the line came back to haunt him on the first play of the game when the ball was snapped over his head.  The look on his face was classic – thank God for high def.  I was really impressed with the Seahawks, they would have killed the Patriots too.  They were so incredibly fast and tough on defense.  What I liked best is that for the first time in recent years they left all the swagger and strutting behind and just let their talent speak for themselves.  This was so welcome and I found myself rooting for them early in the second quarter.  Even Sherman sounded halfway lucid and classy during the post game interviews.
Buddy's Post for Most of Game - Tried To Fix Glowing Eyes - 50% Success rate
We watched the game almost as much for the commercials which were a pretty stale lot this year.  There were a few great ones, the puppy and the Clydesdale, the Doritos time machine, a cancer survivor one, and a hidden video beer commercial where the guy ends up playing a wigged Arnold Schwarzenegger in ping pong (I’m not kidding).  The most welcome one was the snippet of Jack Bauer’s return in May as my favorite show of all time “24” returns!
Jack and Khloe Return!  I Hope London has a Good Supply of Body Bags
We successfully raised my sister’s football IQ to unheard of levels and my brother in law followed the game through his sports twitter feed which was so funny.  I’m so grateful they made the journey up for what would have been a very solitary game without them.  They truly rock!  Here are a few of the comercials:
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment