Saturday, February 22, 2014

Driveway Olympics

Much to the consternation of my neighbor across the street my winter creation of a new Olympic event continued yesterday morning.  This new event involved skiing down the ice covered driveway riding a dumpster.  I thought my form was text book, to include a wild eyed glance to see if any cars were coming before my dismount in the street.  The East German judge was particularly complimentary.

Thursday night’s rain certainly reduced the snow pack but then it froze creating a perfect track for this new event.  I was sleepily putting the weekly rubbish collection out on the street when gravity asserted itself in no small measure as I started the downhill portion of my trek.  It was kind of a helpless feeling as we slid the entire length of the driveway but I’m still enough of a kid (despite a monumental level of evidence to the contrary) that I kind of enjoyed the ride; at least when I ascertained there would be no collisions on the street.
The View this Morning of the now Clear Driveway From the Point I started Sliding
The Blue Dumpster is Positioned Where we Ended up Yesterday
Nervous Neighbor's House Across the Street
My neighbor, whose front yard has already hosted my car this winter must be getting worried about his safety if he saw any of this performance; wondering when I’m going to show up in his living room coming through the front window. 

Yesterday we did finally have the thaw we’ve so desperately needed.  We have a three foot tall fake rock covering our well head in the back yard and it’s been completely under the snow for the past week.  Yesterday morning I noticed the top peeking out and when I returned after work more than half was exposed.  It’s amazing how fast the snow melts when you turn the temperature up just a few degrees.  The winter is not finished with us yet though, after this balmy weekend in the forties another polar vortex arrives for the work week, complete with a Wednesday snow storm. 
The Rock Emerges - Was Completely Under the Snow Yesterday Morning
My excellent boss hosted a celebration of the First Friday of the Week which we needed after dealing with politicians all week.  That was too much fun and was followed up with the Friday staple of Zorba’s pizza and beer.  The pink haired waitress wasn’t around but my favorite bar tender took good care of me.  I really miss having the wife around for these Friday dates (and just about everything else). 
Such a Good Show!
I reached the season finale of season 2 of House of Cards in which the deliciously evil Frank Underwood tried to finalize his evil machinations.  This show is almost too good for television because it’s so smart.  If you haven’t seen this show yet – do yourself a favor.  It will raise your contempt of Washington politics to stratospheric levels.

My wife called to complain about the heat as she continued her sewing exercises.  Mariano Rivera was in her home town hanging out with the local baseball team; unfortunately her father didn’t feel up to seeing his idol even though he was just a couple streets away.  She’s getting increasingly nervous about winter’s failure to retreat in the face of her imminent return; eleven days and counting!
Hard at Work in the Heat
 

No comments:

Post a Comment