Friday, February 7, 2014

Frigidly Isolated

Each year this separation from the wife gets tougher.  It really hit home yesterday and not just because I had an early morning meeting with the politicos.  No amount of Buddy tunneling through the snow in search of the elusive whatever the hell he chases with such enthusiasm seemed to help.(well maybe a little – it was truly funny)

I think she’s feeling it too.  It was something we discussed last night on the phone.  This is kind of strange because there have been numerous forced separations during our marriage; mostly when I left for weeks or months on end to go play with well armed friends.  As we’ve gotten older it’s become increasingly hard to be apart for these extended times.

It seems that despite the fact that we are masters at getting under each other’s skin at times we both miss the opportunity to do so on a daily basis.  It could be that we’re into our fifth year of empty nesting and depend on each other for an almost invisible emotional support each day just by being around.  I know I smile each day when I drive in from work and see her car in the garage, knowing she’s upstairs waiting to regale me with day’s adventures or Buddy’s misadventures.
I Miss This
Marriages are tough and all too easy to give up on early on before you truly get to know each other.  I think these elder years are payback for all the tough times every marriage goes through.  If it’s possible to stick it out and overlook the little things about the spouse that drive you crazy the benefits are something like we’re experiencing now.  A closeness that can only be formed over the slow forge of years spent together.

I miss it, a lot.  It may be time to deploy the jigsaw puzzles which so effectively consume time.

No comments:

Post a Comment