Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day Completely Off

Yesterday was one of those truly rare days when I really didn’t have anything to do or planned.  This was fallout for not remembering I had the day off from work and therefore got everything done on Sunday.  I did get the snow blower out for the fifth day in a row since the ever present winds had covered the driveway again with about six inches of snow, even though not a bit fell from the ski.  My streak will continue as we’re getting another 6-8’ of the white stuff today which will make for an interesting commute home.
My Wife Conjuring in Panama
Photo Courtesy of Lauriche, Inc.
I wrote yesterday about the uncanny, long range ability my wife has to detect breaking of rules in the house.  A friend, also married to a Chiricana (my wife’s province of Chirqui), commented that he experienced similar, almost witchlike capabilities in his Chiricana.  Scary stuff, indeed, but it does keep us on the straight and narrow; well that and the ability to wield a mean machete.  Cognizant of my wife’s newly revealed abilities Buddy was much more circumspect as to his blogging position yesterday; back to the correct side of the couch.
I Hate it When He Sits at that Damned Computer
My wife did report finding a kitchen that she really liked which set off all kinds of alarms in my subconscious.  She's always jumping ahead of the process in which I gently remind her we still have to get the house built.  The most important aspect of this kitchen was the presence of Green Ubatuba granite.  She opined that if we got this the Keene Friend was sure to visit given his ubatuba fetish.
Ubatuba  Spotted in Panama
I went to see the movie, Winter’s Tale, completely appropriate given the weather we’ve been enduring.  This movie had some lofty goals but it ends up being “Downtown Abbey meets the Matrix”.  It’s hard to make a really bad movie with a cast that includes Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell, Will Smith, Eva St Marie, Jennifer Connelly and John Hurt but the director gave it a shot anyways.
The story involves the battle between good and evil with a love affair between a Victorian era couple that meets a tragic end.  The guy (Farrell) lives for another 100 years without aging so he can meet his destiny.  Farrell is really good for the first time in a long time and Crowe makes a bad ass demon but this movie just couldn’t make up its mind about what it wanted to be.  A Harlequin level boudoir romance interspaced with face splitting demons and flying horses just never gelled.  Connelly is criminally underused and the young actress playing the love interest has a serious mumbling problem.  I guess this came out as a Valentines Day date movie and they threw the demons in so the guys would have something while their dates swooned at the tragic love story but this was a clear miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment