Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Wifely Cold Turkey

I had a strangely disturbing experience yesterday. My Favorite Panamanian abandoned me for the day to travel back to David for a unique opportunity to have lunch with two members of the original Panamanian Mafia from our days in Northern Virginia. These two ladies also have Chiricana roots and happened to be in the city on the same day, hence the lunch. My wife was still bubbling from the time spent together with these old friends when she returned last night. The return was the aforementioned experience for me. I had a very good day as I had the entire condo complex to myself which appealed to my megalomaniacal side. It was kind of lonely though, but again, there are worse places in the world to be isolated.

Wife Surrounded by Mafia Yesterday
The problem was the lunch ended in the early afternoon and she still hadn’t returned as the sun set. It was a glorious sunset though, but I digress. My Favorite Panamanian had a number of places she had to stop by to complete errands and I received a text around 4 saying she was headed to the last one before returning home. I realized after sunset that I had no way to contact her if she was out of Wi-Fi range, that also applied to cell phone location which only works here in Panama when she is, again, logged on to a Wi-Fi signal. I was bounding off the walls, sending messages via Facebook to her sister and niece with no answers. On my twentieth (or so) trip to the front I finally noticed some headlights approaching and it turned out to be the long lost spousal unit.

Sunset Last Night

Beach This Morning

Pelicans Skim Top of Waves Each Morning
It turned out she had sent several messages that failed to send but she didn’t notice until I asked her why she hadn’t kept me apprised. The strange part was I had felt so helpless stuck at the end of a very isolated stretch of beach with no vehicle. She laughed and said she was surprised she didn’t run into me walking up the road in search of her. I assured her that was my next planned step. My happiness at seeing her safe and sound was tempered a bit when something stung me on the bottom of the foot. Another lesson, relearned, everything in Panama bites. I’m glad she had such a great time with old friends. There are very few things in life to rival time catching up with long held friends.

This is Where I do Workout Each Morning
With my additional time to myself, without having to share attention with cable TV, I’ve fallen back into reading, a lot. I stocked up the kindle before coming down here and have already finished off three books, including a new Steven King and the latest Joe Pickett novel from CJ Box. There’s just something about the beach that cries out for you to read books. I blame my mother who spent literally all her time on the beach when we were young reading. I am so glad she passed that on to me.

ABFA With her Parents & the Two Ladies
We saw these photos of the BRS and BR3 in their Easter finest. They spent the holiday with the ABFA’s parents. The photos served as a stark reminder that no matter how delightful life is, here in paradise, these ladies will always call me home. Willingly.

Just Love this Photo

Sisters

Son Refereeing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment