Friday, April 23, 2021

Blueprint for Future

One of the single most exciting aspects to our Panamanian home is the prospect of hosting visitors in the future; once all this pandemic silliness is eradicated. That was the plan for this year but, as with most of the rest of the world, plans had to change. Yesterday we had the good fortune to test drive the concept though. One of the Panamanian Mafia and her husband visited for the day. This was her second visit as she earlier conspired with my wife on the new condo color scheme which she came to see implemented. I consider her husband a good friend and one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met. This was his initial visit this year and I finally got to speak some English for the first time in over a month outside of work.

The Evening Lineup in front of Our Condo
My wife had prepared a huge hunk of dead animal flesh on the balcony grill. I was out there was well for most of the morning as we had air conditioner repair guys in and I had a couple zoom calls to participate in for work. While the scenery was awesome, I found it hard to hear some of the call because of sound from the nearby pounding surf. Yeah, I know, we all have crosses to bear. I also caught the final act on the bohio roof repair on the beach. I was amazed that the entire trimming was done by hand by a guy with a pair of large garden shears. I would have reached muscle failure before I completed one and he did all six in succession.

Fully Trimmed Bohios

Lunch with Friends

Tia Loca and Her son at Little Kids Table
After lunch my friend and I headed out into the surf for some boogie boarding. I’m not sure beaches are ranked for quality of boogie boarding; but if they are, Las Lajas would have to be near the top. My friend owns a beach place himself further down the coast and said he never gets surf like this. The waves were really large yesterday and I found myself fighting through some very energetic rides. As always, it was a great workout just making our way back out into the waves after each ride. I was completely exhausted by the time we finished but it was a very good tired, especially since I got to share it with a friend; something I hope portends for the future with other friends.

Friend and I Returning from Surf

Tia Loca Heading Out
After our friends departed, the resident group set up shop on the beach to celebrate the rest of what turned out to be the best day we’ve had since our arrival, no rain threatened all day. We took up station in the shade while Tia Loca took up the boogie boarding. You can see from the photo how active the waves were. Her son captured a great picture of her finishing a ride. He’s a lot more adventurous with his camera than I am. Meanwhile I remained back in the shade where my afternoon caught up with me which the photo demonstrates. My Favorite Panamanian was so pleased to capture me asleep, but it was well earned. The sunset wasn’t one of the most spectacular but the company more than made up for that. Tia Loca and my Mother in Law broke into a poolside dance party at one point. When you get a group of Panamanians together, dancing will inevitably break out.

Loca Finishing a Ride

Meanwhile, Back on the Beach

Sunset Crew Assembled

Dance Party Breaks Out
We vectored in FaceTime calls with both of my “kids” during the evening. The FBR has become increasingly fascinated with Tia Loca and sternly warned me that I should refer to her by her real name instead of “Loca”. I’m not sure I’m capable of that. The BRS and BR3 had a rough week at Day Care school. The BRS sustained black eye when she was accidently kneed in the eye by another kid. As with most black eyes, the following day the effects are more pronounced and my son confessed to being shocked when he picked her up at school. Likewise, BR3 was scratched in the face by another baby at the day care center. I accused my son of raising a couple of gangsters.

My Gangster Granddaughter

Tough as Nails

Sunset Last Night




Beach This Morning

A Little Crowded


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment