Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Isolation Shopping

I spent another Monday completely by myself as I was once again abandoned by my Favorite Panamanian. There are, no doubt, better places to be solitary, not that I’ve ever found one. I had the entire complex to myself yesterday as my wife drove back to David to start the purchases on the redecorating plan she and her accomplice, I mean friend, arrived at on Sunday. I made the mistake of being mildly productive during the day which may come back to haunt me. If she knows I will work unsupervised who knows what the full implications might be.

FBR Back on FaceTime This Morning
Yesterday was also noteworthy in that it was the Cantankerous Friend’s birthday. We’ve been friends since the third grade and as I’ve gotten older I realize what a long time that is. Seriously, it’s hard to think back on my youth without his presence in most of the memories. Be it neighborhood baseball games at Carpenter Field, Lincoln School, or shared vacations at York Beach (Long Sands of course). We followed very similar military careers, me in the Army, him in the Navy. His bluster and overall cantankerous has successfully hidden his rather large heart from those who don’t look close enough. Happy birthday my friend, beers on me when I return.

Fifth Grade, Cantankerous on Top Right, Me Bottom Left
I set up shop on the beach last evening awaiting my bride’s return and took in another spectacular sunset. While I was down there, I didn’t get the expected FaceTime call from any of the granddaughters. That was a surprise since the FBR especially is fairly religious about calling, except when she runs afoul of parental unit behavior policies. I thought that was the case and sent a text to my daughter who said they had tried to call at least 10 times but for some reason my phone never rang. They then called in and I was able to say good night to the FBR who, much like her mother, tried to use this as an excuse to extend her bedtime. Unfortunately, for her, her mother holds a doctorate level degree in that tactic and she was thwarted.

Last Night's Sunset







My wife returned shortly after sunset with a new chair and a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of mysterious bags. She informed me she had been moderately successful, that we had another chair on order and I wouldn’t see what was in the bags until she was able to show me the items deployed in accordance with “the plan”. This was a new tactic and, as usual, I had no answer. I’m sure what she has planned will be superb and I didn’t make the mistake of pointing out that I thought the condo looked great already. You see, I can learn.

Beach This Morning


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment