Friday, April 9, 2021

Sleeping Lifeguard and Bungee Swimming

My Favorite Panamanian has some serious issues with what she describes as my adventuresome side. That is most evident when I go out to swim in the ocean. If there is a downside to this paradise it is in the form of occasional strong currents and powerful waves. She thinks I always go out a little too far but I justify this as having to go where the waves are breaking. She’s probably on the right side of the argument, as with most cases. She thinks I have a 35-year-old brain sending orders to my 65-year-old body. I’ve taken the stance that if it isn’t broken why fix it? She then brings op what “broken” would involve. What the hell, I’m going to hang onto the 35-year-old notions as long as I can.

Beach Walking with my Favorite Panamanian
I start the discussion today with that lead in because she always tries to take up a watch when I head into the surf, either from the balcony or the beach itself. We were down on the beach for our late afternoon session yesterday when I grabbed the boogie board and walked into the surf. I came out about twenty minutes later and walked by her on the way to the pool. She was sleeping. I spent about ten minutes in the pool and then went to take a shower to wash off the accumulated sand. I was returning to our chairs when I saw her frantically walking up and down the beach with the iPad in one hand and binoculars in the other.

She Took These Photos of my Immersion in the Bird Flock


She let out a huge sigh of relief upon seeing me. She confessed to waking up to my son’s call on the iPad and then couldn’t see me out in the surf. She immediately assumed I’d gone under. I then pointed out my boogie board which was literally next to her and explained I had been out of the water for a long time. My son took all this in and loved it. I then pointedly questioned her efficacy as my lifeguard. That probably wasn’t the right way to go.

Wednesday Sunset Spectacular







I finally tested my new innovation concerning my morning pool swim. The pools here are great but they’re not built for lap swimming. Even swimming corner to corner, it only takes about four strokes to cross. I knew this before coming down and decided to try using bungee cords. I tied off one end to the heavily weighted umbrella next to the pool and the other end to one of my ankles. I’m sure I look like a pure fool but it actually worked. Luckily I swim early enough in the morning that almost no one else, when they are in residence, is awake to see my “invention:”. Hey, it works!

FBR in Model mode
I’ve continued plowing through books down here. Yesterday I polished off what is possibly one of the most disturbing books ever written. My daughter loaned me Tender is the Flesh, by Augustina Bazterrica, and warned me not to try eating at all while reading it. I was thankful for the warning and enjoyed the read although it was nausea inducing. I won’t reveal the plot but if you’re looking for a shocking read, check it out. It’s really well written with a nice little twist at the end. Thankfully we had another spectacular Las Lajas sunset which helped wash the alarming “taste” out of my mouth afterwards.

Crowded Beach Thursday Morning


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment