Monday, April 26, 2021

Departures & Oscar Search

The last two days marked our last full weekend at the beach before our return next Monday to the States. We’ll spend next weekend at my mother in law’s house in David as we have to get Covid tested and I promised my wife at least a couple nights in her childhood home before we depart. Childhood homes should be appreciated for as long as possible when they are available. I will say, even after a month long stay at the beach, it hasn’t gotten old. That makes the 3-4 month long planned retirement stays even more viable. I had some fears I would get bored. Not so far.

Wife and I with Sunday Sunset
The weekend did have its downers though. We said goodbye to Tia Loca and her son. They had to return to Panama City after spending a week with us. I’m really going to miss them and not just because my Favorite Panamanian will be freed up to focus more on my behavior now with her sister’s departure. Tia Loca is truly the life of any party. Although she speaks hardly any English, she and the FBR became fast friends over the week during the FBR’s FaceTime calls. By the end of the week the FBR didn’t want to talk with us, only her tia. On Sunday morning they were teaching each other their respective languages. I’ll also miss my nephew who became my early morning boogie boarding partner.

Obligatory Departure Photos

Before they left however, we journeyed back to David for a family party at my brother in law’s house on Saturday. The occasion was ostensively to celebrate Tia Loca’s birthday but that passed months ago.  This was the first time she’d been able to return to David in over a year because of the pandemic. It was an afternoon of non-stop laughter. I also enjoyed being around dogs again. My brother-in-law has 2 ¼ dogs.  I can’t ascribe full credit for the tiny ankle biter that my wife loved, of course. They also had a couple cats, one of which provided some entertainment. He trotted across the lawn with an unfortunate lizard dangling from his mouth. My brother-in-law tried to intercept him before he could bring it into the house. The cat dodged him effectively but settled down with his “toy” on a side lawn. It reminded me of times Mindy the Cat would toy with mice she caught. As I got close to this cat to take the accompanying pictures he acted like he was going to attack me to prevent loss of the lizard. Good times.

Wife and Tia Loca at Their Brother's Place With Anklebiter

Wife and her Husband

Party Time


Cat and his Lizard

Getting Ready to Attack Me

Wife and her Brother
Because with Panamanians, there's Always Dancing
The condo
filled up a little bit over the weekend with four other families joining us on the beach on Sunday.  I spent the entire day out under the newly roofed bohio enjoying the scenery and reading. I learned that my wife isn’t the only Panamanian totally averse to rain. Despite living in one of the rainiest countries on earth (or maybe because they do) Panamanians hate getting wet via rain, even though the rain is fairly warm (by New England standards). I’ve never understood it because I spent three years getting absolutely soaked in the Panamanian jungle as an infantry lieutenant. There, I’ve gone and digressed again. Anyways, a short but energetic rain shower blew through mid-afternoon on Sunday and emptied the beach, expect for the gringo comfortably reading under the bohio. My wife thought I was crazy.

Saturday Morning on Beach - My Favrote Photo of Beach

My View During Rain Shower
The condo was empty again by sunset time and my Favorite Panamanian joined me to watch that. There as also a full moon visible. The photos don’t do it or the sunset justice. The next challenge was being able to watch the Academy Awards. I’m a huge movie nut and the Oscars are akin to the super bowl for me. My nephew and I had tried unsuccessfully to find a way to tune in before he left. As Oscar time approached, I finally just used the voice command on the remote and asked for “Los Premios Oscars en vivo”. I was directed to possibly one of the most annoying experiences of my life.

Wife with Moon over her Shoulder


Sunday Sunset

Meanwhile, in Portsmouth
A Long Delayed Date Night for Son & ABFA
I watched what apparently was a pirated signal of the Spanish language broadcast accompanied by a panel of hipsters from Chile. I know, weird. I was able to follow the show but I kept yelling at the very talkative hipsters to shut the F up so I could hear the ceremony. About an hour into this experience someone in authority must have figured out what they were doing because the signal was abruptly cut off with a message about violating standards. Who knew they existed?! I thought I was dead in the water and started randomly doing a google search. After a bunch of dead ends, I ran across one that recommended something called supertelevisionHD.com. This turned out to be a Mexican web site that I was able to log into and eventually get the broadcast, in Spanish, of course. I watched the rest of the show this way, having to ignore repeated messages that my TV wasn’t compatible for the broadcast. All I know is that it worked.

Watching the Oscars with my Chilean Friends
I was severely disappointed in the Oscar ceremony itself, and not just because of my viewing challenges. The show had none of the grandeur or style I’ve come to expect. I know Hollywood is the sun center of self-importance but the show looked like it was staged by a high school drama club. It was if they were doing it from a railroad station; oh right, they were. What were they thinking when that decision was made? I liked the wins by Nomadland, Soul, and Minari. I thought the tragically deceased Chadwick Bozeman was a shoo in for best actor but he lost to Anthony Hopkins in the night’s biggest upset. I personally had been rooting for Riz Ahmed in The Sound of Metal. So, overall, I was, again, disappointed by the lack of pomp and circumstance but since they were marking the year of 2020 I guess its forgivable. On to 2021; one of the first things I’m doing upon my return to the states is to hit the movie theater for the first time in over a year.

Sunday Sunset




Moon Over the Beach

This Morning on the Beach


Pelican Flyby


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment