Thursday, April 22, 2021

Reverse Whitewashing

It’s been a hectic couple of days at the condo. My Favorite Panamanian has always thought the condo needed some color on the walls which have remained the original white. With the assistance of a visiting Panamanian Mafia member, she concocted a new scheme and that was realized yesterday. We prepped the condo by moving furniture and raising all the blinds. When we did that in the living room, I was amazed at the view. I’d forgotten what an absolutely superb beach view the raised blinds offered. It was actually a bit stunning and photos don’t accurately capture how gorgeous it was.

Blinds Up

The crew of painters showed up as I was finishing my morning beach workout and by early afternoon the entire condo was repainted. The colors are definitely aquatic in theme and while I was perfectly happy with the white walls (don’t tell her), it does look pretty good. Even though the slightly pink master bedroom came as a bit of a surprise. I told her I wanted her to be able to create her dream house here and this is part of that process.

The New Color Scheme




During the painting we spent the day to on the balcony which was extremely picturesque as it was a nearly perfect day. I watched the crew working at re-grassing the beachside bohios. They had stripped off the old grass a couple days ago. The process of putting the new thatch up was fascinating to watch, as it is any time you get to watch true professionals at work. Despite the stifling heat and humidity these guys worked non-stop tying in the new bunches of grass. You’ll note Panamanian grass is a bit longer than back home. The only thing left is to trim the bottom which should happen today. The bohios are our preferred beach location because of the shade, which is absolutely required in the tropics.

Bohio Repair

Off with the Old


On with the New




The day ended with the return of Tia Loca, her son, and my mother-in-law. I welcomed the respite because my back was barking at me a bit from moving all the furniture back into place after the painting. We adjourned shortly for the beach for some early evening boogie boarding followed by a pool party as the sun set. It wasn’t one of the more memorable sunsets but sitting with legs dangling in the pool while drinking a beer as the rest of the gang laughed was as close to sublimity as I’ve been in a while. We topped off the evening with some coconut tapping. My Favorite Panamanian arranged for the condo caretaker to harvest a few coconuts. My wife and her sister then collected the coconut water and meat, poolside. Quite an ending to an eventful day.

Tia Loca and the Coconuts


Tuesday Sunset

Wednesday

Beach This Morning


------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment