Thursday, April 15, 2021

Silver Tongued Devil/Spouse

Anyone who knows my Favorite Panamanian knows that she is individually and seriously blessed with the gift of gab. She literally lives to talk, hence her fairly serious addiction to the telephone. She always accuses me of not taking enough. My usual rejoinder is that there isn’t room for me talk with her torrent of dialogue. Sometimes, though, her gift comes in really handy, like yesterday; but before I launch into a recitation of that adventure there are more important events to recognize.

BR3, 11 Months Old
I Love This Picture

With her Very Proud Dad
Absolutely Dominating a Hat

Will be Walking So Soon 
BR3 is fully eleven months old now which somehow seems impossible. Even though the past year has crawled by at pandemic pace she seems immune. She’s now a crawling maniac. Her favorite trick is to crawl as fast as she can to the stairs and then climb all the way up. I’m thinking a stair gate is in her immediate future. She is something extraordinarily special. She has a devastating smile that she wields with abandon. Thanks to the ABFA for posting the included photos marking BR3’s 11 month birthday.

That Smile

Wears her Food Like a Champ
Now, to my non-beach related adventures of yesterday and my wife’s “gift”. We drove back to David yesterday for some shopping and mother-in-law retrieval operations. She’s going to stay with us for a while as we have been here long enough to be safe around her, Covid-wise. We’re gearing up for a big event this weekend when my crazy sister-in-law and my wife’s other siblings join us for Christmas dinner. I know that sounds a bit chronologically challenged so let me explain. I just learned this story. My late father-in-law hated turkey, refused to eat it. The first holiday season after my wife and I married I prepared the usual Christmas turkey dinner I grew up with. He absolutely loved it and for the rest of his life he would only eat turkey that I prepared. It therefore became a tradition every time we came for a visit that I would prepare a turkey dinner. That happens on Saturday with his gathered family, thank you Don Neco for this fun tradition.

Mom in Residence Last Night
In way of explanation, that was part of the shopping expedition. Finding the needed ingredients can be a challenge, especially translating some of the ingredients needed into Spanish. Last week we lucked into a 25 pound turkey our condo oven will be challenged to contain. The other part of shopping was buying the eight gallons of paint my wife and her accomplice/friend arrived at for the condo redecorating plan. It was a full car for our return where our adventure started.

Beach Rainbow This Morning
Discovered by FBR During Wakeup Call
After a traffic stop a few years ago I religiously follow the speed limits on the Inter-American Highway, the road to and from David from Las Lajas. This sometimes leads to discussion with my Favorite Panamanian who feels less encumbered. The real reason I behave much better than I do back home is the Panamanian police always patrol that stretch of road. We usually hit three to four speed traps in the hour long drive. I was behaving, although I can see both of my children shaking their heads in disbelief as they read this.

We Could See Both Ends
There is one stretch where the speed limit drops from 100 KPH (a little over 60MPH) to 50 KPH. I dropped my speed accordingly and thought I was through the reduced speed zone. The first indication I was incorrect was a police officer stepping out and waving me over. Apparently, the reduced speed zone extends much further than I imagined.  Here commenceth the adventure. He asked for my driver’s license and when it saw it was an American one, he asked for my passport. Recently my wife took responsibility for carrying passports since she said I was putting too much wear and tear on my mine by carrying it in my pocket. As soon as I looked at her, I knew we had a problem. She didn’t have the passports.

Beach This Morning
Even though I had my Panamanian resident card, the policeman explained I was basically driving without a license. If I was relying on the resident card, I needed a Panamanian driver’s license. If I was using the American one, I needed the passport to show how long I had been in Panama. I was basically screwed. He asked me to get out and we walked over to a nearby bench to discuss. He showed us the regulation which stated he was required to seize our car. Enter my wife and her loquaciousness. She and the policeman started a 15 minute conversation at the end of which they were talking like old friends. I was smart enough to nod every now and then. He basically knew our complete family history by then. He did seem to take special notice when my wife casually mentioned I was a retired colonel. He seemed like a really decent guy. He finally handed me back my cards and wished me a good evening. I’m not sure if this was his way of getting out of the conversation with my wife or he was just taking pity on us. As we were driving away, I thanked my wife for being such a silver tongued devil. She nodded in a particularly superior manner.

Sunrise This Morning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment