Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Sublime Routine

There are some activities in life that reach beyond the normal enjoyment of life in general. Spending time with granddaughters certainly fills that category. Our bedroom is right next to the FBR’s and she’s appointed herself as our morning wakeup call. She’s under parental orders not to emerge from her bedroom until 7am when her alarm light goes off. On Sunday morning she actually slept in, a highly unlikely situation. Around 8 I knocked on the adjoining wall and she came flooding into the room but I was to pay for this indiscretion.

Two of my Favorite Ladies
Her parents returned from their weekend sojourn and it was so great hanging out with the entire crew. Around 6:30am on Monday the FBR began an incessant banging on our wall, obviously a trick she learned from her grandpa, hence the payment I was speaking about. I rushed to her room to quiet her down before her parents heard and correctly assigned blame to our presence in the house. As fate would have it, I met my daughter as I was leaving the FBR’s room. My daughter only gave me a tired smile at the antics of her daughter.

The Dynamo Yesterday
I set up he computer in the basement for the couple hours of work I have to do each day. I quickly learned to use the mute button during the zoom calls to cover the sound of an energetic five-year-old running back and forth on the floor above. I am greeted like a returning hero every time I journey upstairs; so much so that I occasionally go up just to get the greeting. We had a lot of fun chasing rockets in the back yard yesterday even if the temps were a little brisk.

So Much Fun
We’ve taken to watching movies with my daughter and Wingman each of the past two nights as my daughter walks us through some of the Oscar nominated films. We watched Minari and the Father over the past couple nights. Both films were excellent although The Father made me nervous as it dealt with an aging father and I was the only aging father in the room. There’s a pivotal scene in Minari which involves the routine of burning trash. This brought back memories of my own youth I had all but forgotten. It was one of my routine chores in the early 1960s to take the family trash to the back yard and burn it in an oil drum back there. Every house had this which is probably a good reason it was eventually banned. Can you even imagine what kind of pollution that created not to mention whether it was wise to have young children burning things in the backyard without supervision? Times have changed. I don’t think the FBR’s parents would even consider sending her out back with a book of matches.

Not Sure what the Belly Baring Means
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment