Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Rabbity Wars

The backyard rabbits have decided to declare war. I know they do not do this lightly because they’ve seen some of my responses in recent years. The less said about the wounded rabbit the better. They may realize my Favorite Panamanian has decided I can no longer use a projectile weapon against them despite the fact that she is the biggest complainer about the beasts (but I digress). Last summer I installed a lattice underneath Deckzilla in the hopes of dissuading their residence underneath. It appears to have had the opposite effect. They now think of it as a sanctuary that limits the ability of predators to follow them. I saw a couple of the smaller ones jump right through the latticework.

Those smaller rabbits have grown over the winter and took to gnawing away at the latticework to increase the size of the holes. I consider that the declaration of war. My plan was to install a wire mesh behind the latticework and thought it would be a good idea to do it while the ground was still frozen since that would reduce the level of mud I’d have to crawl through as there will be a serious amount of crawling involved. My Favorite Son didn’t think I was capable of that which only increased my motivation. I purchased the mesh and was ready to go until I realized there was a fatal flaw in my plan. The ground is still frozen and the latticework is frozen into the ground so there is no access underneath Deckzilla until it thaws. Apparently mud will be involved but it’s not as if the Army didn’t teach me about crawling  around in the mud. I never thought that aspect of my military experience would come in handy. I brought up the subject of projectiles again but was soundly voted down in the household council. We know who owns 51% of that vote. So, round 1 to the rabbits.

The Gnawed Lattice

Finally, I have a question, as I am wont to do. What is the big deal about the interview with Prince Harry and Meaghan? I could care less about the British royal family. I though we kicked those inbred a-holes out of here over two hundred years ago. Why does their tearful experience have any relevance to a world, outside of Great Britain, dealing with a pandemic and assorted other crisis. Feeling a little curmudgeonly today.

Latest Puzzle Completed 
With the Obligatory Missing Piece
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment