Thursday, March 11, 2021

Holding Pattern

I feel like I’m stuck in a holding pattern as I await the second shot that has the power to free me up. It seems like the time waiting for that has predictably slowed down substantially. That is the case in most situations where something as anticipated as this promised freedom. While spring is probably my least favorite season of the year, we are welcoming the first signs of a bona fide change of season now. While this is bad news for the Deckzilla rabbits, in my short forays outside of our pandemic incarceration I can see New Englanders emerging from the winter induced isolation. Temperatures that would have seemed cold in October are now considered almost balmy.

Wearing her Green Beans with Pride
The granddaughters were in fine form last night. BR3 continues to be highly entertaining at dinner time. She was getting some of her green beans into her mouth instead of around it when the ABFA provided some avocado for her to sample. It was obvious that she didn’t like the taste as soon as she put it in but that did not deter her in the least. Despite some grimaces the pieces kept disappearing into her mouth. BR3 is a chow hound and once this was registered in her mind as food the avocado didn’t stand a chance, despite its foul taste (in my personal opinion). The BRS took advantage of the ABFA’s momentary distraction by dumping an entire bag of shredded cheese onto the table. Grandparents can laugh at that kind of violation, parents less so.1 week until the second vaccination.

Very Well

Then Came the Avocado

Meanwhile the BRS Dumped the Bag of Cheese Behind Her
My Favorite Panamanian and I watched a really good movie last night with Baby Teeth. It's hard to imagine that a film about a dying teenage girl can actually be life affirming but this film somehow carries it off. The girl's plight is only gradually revealed as you're left wondering at some of the choices her parents make but in the end it truly delivers. This is the first film I've seen this year that I can recommend without hesitation. It feels really human. The dying teen theme has been done, if you'll excuse me, to death, but this movie ekes out a refreshing and altogether too real viewpoint. There are a number of great lines but my favorite was, "This is the worst possible parenting I can imagine." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                            

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment