Friday, March 12, 2021

Driveway Salon and First Salvos

In yet another sign that the pandemic is on its feeble (hopefully) last legs, the extensive manes my daughter and the FBR have grown over the course of the past year were shorn yesterday. In a stark reminder that we’re still in Pandemia however the haircut took place in a neighbor’s driveway. I’ve written before about how fortunate my daughter and her family are to have landed in a fabulous neighborhood in New Jersey and its all about the people therein; mostly refugees from earlier, sowing oats years in Brooklyn. One of my daughter’s friends/neighbors is a qualified hair stylist and with the break of really good weather it was out to the driveway.

The Two New Coifs
An example of what a great neighborhood they live in was what happened during the haircuts. One of the activities parents of young children have employed during the pandemic is get out for walks with their young’uns, for reasons that are patently obvious to anyways who has ever had young children. This is something I hope survives a return to what I hate being called, “the new normal”. Anyways, while the haircuts were going on, a couple of the FBR’s friends and their parents wandered by and soon the kids were all playing together while the adults socialized. There is an intrinsic value to that type of neighborhood versus a more high rent district. It’s always about the people, not the houses.

Getting Started

Daughter's Turn




The FBR and my daughter were ecstatic about the results. The FBR kept asking us to take pictures of her during our call last night. She tried to employ one of my techniques, something Great Aunt calls my “shit-eating grin” for photos. We spotted the attempt and got her to show her natural, gorgeous smile by having my daughter threaten to tickle her.

The Results

FBR Mugging for Camera

Could Not Help Herself

The Beautiful Smile
It was a beautiful day in Worcester as well, with temperatures approaching seventy so I was out for the afternoon launching the first shots in my war against the Deckzilla rabbits. Unfortunately, two of the three sides of the deck still had the lattice work frozen into the ground, but undaunted, I went after the third side. I learned the age-old lesson that working with chicken wire is not for the faint of heart, sturdy gloves are required. I dug a trench under the lattice work and then positioned boards from an old bed in the trench. I then stapled the bottom of the wire to that before burying it all. After stapling the top to the deck, I had effectively sealed that end which had suffered the most from the pesky rodents.

Tools Employed, You Can see Wood in the Trench

Came Out Great

Was Such a Great Day I Stayed Out to Put a New Number 
on the House to Replace the Tattered Label 
The holes they chewed in the lattice actually helped me during the times I had to reach through to position the wire. All the while this was going on, I could see one of the rabbits silhouetted against the other end of the deck. It’s probably be a couple weeks before I get to the other two sides and I’m going to force all the bunnies out using a pole.  I got all the motivation I needed when I read about rabbit eradication techniques online. They said a healthy pair of rabbits left to their own devices can turn into 50-80 rabbits in six months. I think the phrase I’m looking for is – YIKES! I know all of you immediately were thinking of another phrase; you know what I mean.  FIRST FRIDAY!!!!!!!

Wife Received a Birthday Card from FBR
With a Liberal Application of Labels
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment