Saturday, March 6, 2021

Getting it Right

I’m very carefully doing the math today after my epic January screw up. Today marks the 39th anniversary of my marriage to my Favorite Panamanian.  That’s the small aspect of doing it right. The marriage itself turned out to be the best decision I ever made, albeit a hasty one. I don’t think many of our friends gave us a very solid chance to make it after I proposed (and she accepted) three days after we met. I’ve told that story so many times I won’t bore you again but it does provide an interesting take on marriage in general. It’s kind of weird that the best years of our marriage have been the most recent, mainly because with the departure of our “kids” we’ve had only each other to focus on. It turns out we kind of like each other. I hasten to add after re-reading that last bit - the years didn’t get better because our kids departed but because their departure left us with only each other in the house.

My Bride and I - 39 and Counting
There were certainly some rough times over the years, as with any marriage, and if I could offer any advice it would be to stick it out (unless physical/mental abuse is involved). I look back now on the troubles and realize how young we both were and how irrelevant some of our issues were. Staying the course and still being together after all these years has made all the difference. She can still set my heart beating a little faster when she flashes those incredible brown eyes. The life we shared has created a familiarity and sense of oneness that is priceless. There were times I was certain that we wouldn’t make it but here we are, 39 years later, and I couldn’t be happier (well, maybe if the bars were open, but I digress). So happy anniversary my love and thanks for hanging with us, you have made that difference so worthwhile.

The Cake
2021 continues to emerge from the muck created by the prior year. We’re both a couple weeks away from our second vaccine shots and yesterday I made flight reservations for a month long stay at our beach front condo in Panama. We won’t hit the peak of the dry season as we had hoped but it will be good to get away form our pandemic dungeons to our favorite beach in the world. The condo has been empty for over a year now and probably needs some care. I was shocked to learn that Copa has suspended the daily non-stop flights to Panama from Boston. Since we were going to be down in NEW Jersey visiting my daughter for the week prior to our flight I made the reservations to fly out of New York.

Last Night's Panama Call
The greatest gift of the past year was realized again last evening with the First Friday of the Week video calls that have become a pandemic tradition. It is something I really hopes continues after we’re freed from cautionary pandemic life. The family Facetime call remains my favorite as we’re joined by my kids and their families as well as Great Aunt and Soxfather. The kids have to get off early because of the squiring needs of young children and the hour or so more that I spend with my sister and brother-in-law is a cherished time. We follow this call up with yet another one involving my wife’s Panamanian family which is too much fun and non-stop laughter as my brother-in-law and sister-in-law (Tia Loca) square off incessantly.

Favorite Panamanian with My Cake and her Earrings
Roses Might be Involved Also
39 Years Have Taught me a Few Things
My wife spent several hours last night after these calls preparing a special cake for me for our anniversary. She was guided through the process by professional cake maker, the Maine Musquetera. As I made my way up several times from the Man Cave, I found the cake taking shape while these two friends laughed together. The result was the best gift I could have hoped for – a cake involving several versions of chocolate. I went with a more assured route by gifting my bride with some ruby earrings and roses while I made her breakfast this morning. She’ll return the favor tonight as she’ll prepare the first steak I’ve had in a long while. (NEWS FLASH- Brew City re-opens in 2 weeks!!!!!), 2021 just keeps getting better.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment