Thursday, March 4, 2021

Expected But Still Sad

We received an expected jolt to the day with a text this morning from my son. The ABFA’s grandmother, and BRS namesake, has passed away. She’d been in hospice for a couple weeks with rapidly deteriorating health but despite the predictability those facts meant, it was still tough news to receive. She was well into her nineties but still was a lot of fun to interact with. We met her shortly after we met the ABFA and she was a true firecracker. At that first meeting she was planning a trip to San Francisco even though her eyesight was failing. I know this news is especially hard for the ABFA as she enjoyed a truly special relationship with her grandmother, hence the namesaking. Please keep the ABFA and her family in your prayers as they mourn this truly special lady.

The Namesake in her New Classroom
I’ve just retuned from my second day in a row driving up to what used to be Fort Devens. Since my Favorite Panamanian passed her 65th birthday her military ID card had to be renewed (to insure she was signed up for Medicare). We drove up yesterday but there was a sign hanging on the door stating that the ID card computer system was down. I tried to call today to see if it was fixed but the phone just kept getting a busy signal. All the other phone numbers from the Devens websites were no longer connected (someone may want to correct that). We took the chance and were rewarded when not only was the office open but there as no waiting line (something unheard of). Since we’re only about twenty miles away my wife “joked” that it had taken her longer to get ready for the appointment (a photo being involved) than it had to drive up and back, including the appointment itself. There may be a lesson there but I don’t think it will ever be learned. (Insight provided courtesy of nearly forty years of marriage).

Happy BR3 - Food Must be involved

No Where did Dad Leave that Remote?

I am Possibly, Too Cute
The ABFA sent the accompanying photos of the BRS and BR3. As noted yesterday BR3 has taken her crawling to another level and, in what is sure to be a sign of the future, took up pursuit of the TV remote last night. She’s also sprouted a second tooth. The BRS has moved up into another classroom at the day care facility and said she really enjoyed her new teacher and friends. The FBR was in a semi-manic state last night which I think can be attributed to a huge lollipop. She polished that off in truly remarkable fashion and then sped off, away from her parents, with the iPad screen. For the last few minutes of the call, she serenaded us with a really loud party favor, viewed here in these photos. Despite the decibels involved both my wife and I could not stop laughing. Granddaughters will do that to you.

Manci FBR


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment