Monday, March 22, 2021

Spring in the Step

While that title might be a tad generous considering the pace my steps now partake, I feel lifted after a weekend spent with my Favorite Son and his family. I had hoped to help him work on the conversion of his basement into a long dreamed about Man Cave but that was delayed by the need for the installation of a radon reduction system. Since we didn’t have to leave early because of that, my Favorite Panamanian used that as license to engage in her usual casual departure activity schedule while I bounced off the walls ready to depart. It’s kind of our thing, the clash between Anglo-Saxon and Latin cultures.

With My Son's Family 
We finally arrived shortly before noon to find the granddaughters doing something I thought would be inherently impossible – they were even more charming. BR3 motors around the room as if she’d been doing this for months and shows a special affinity for checking on the securement of the electrical outlets with child proofing. The BRS immediately launched us into a lively game of hide and seek. My wife was in complete abuela mode and threatened to eat the plump cheeks of BR3 – again a Latin thing that doesn’t translate well into English.

The Cheek Eating Attempt

Which BR3 Survived

Girls Informing Abuela her Nap Ends when Theirs Does
After lunch and the girls going down for naps my son and I moved a couch and a couple of tables out from the basement, so I guess we really did start the Man Cave project. We then spent an hour or so assembling the fire pit we bought them for Christmas. We did this on a sun soaked, beautiful spring day with the somewhat haphazard assistance of Riggins. His main contribution was distracting my son by trying to eat as much of the lawn as he could. Since this causes him to vomit, usually in my son’s bed, it is not a good thing.

Time to Get Up Abuela

The End of a Stair Sliding Competition

BRS Declared herself the Winner
After finishing the fire pit while we waited for the ladies to arise, my son and I explored some tv shows he’d been watching and generally caught up with each other. Since we share almost identical tastes in movies but are hampered by spouses who don’t share our love of horror movies, it was a lively conversation. One of the few great aspects about getting old is the transition of your children into adults and the pleasure of interacting with them as adults. Of course, I count myself as more than lucky with my progeny.

We Have Ignition!

Son and His Family by the Fire

BRS Wearing her Marshmallows
We cranked up the fire pit while there was still light in the sky since the days are getting longer and intruding onto granddaughter bed times. The BRS was all in on the fire pit and insisted on accompanying me to the wood line to retrieve kindling. My boy scout training still held and the fire started right off with only one match. The BRS showed she had inherited the family pyromaniacal genes by continually throwing small twigs into the conflagration. This was followed by marshmallow roasting under the expert tutelage of the ABFA. The BRS wore her marshmallows with pride.

BR3 and ABFA Enjoying the Blaze
Even my Favorite Panamanian came out for the fire which is an indication of how warm it is starting to get. We kept feeding wood into the fire after the granddaughters retired for the night and it was as near to a perfect evening as I can recall. The medicinal effect of being around these people cannot be underestimated. Once the fire died down my son and I endeavored to watch the new version of The Justice League. I found it much better than the original although a four hour movie after plenty of fresh air, a fire, great food/company, and maybe a couple beers was a big ask. I saw most of it despite repeated inspections of the inside of my eyelids. Hanging with my son for the experience was the best gift.

BR3 Enjoying Hojaldras

Giving Abuela the Stink Eye When she Eats

You Know, I wanted that Abuela
Sunday saw a typical hojaldra breakfast which the BRS showed some real talent, downing over six of the delicacies. My Favorite Panamanian was up to her usual standards and shepherded BR3 into the world of hojaldras. BR3 is a real chow hound and loved the hojaldras. So much so that she seemed to take personal umbrage whenever my wife took a bite for herself. The BRS had to submit to some minor surgery to remove a sliver from her hand courtesy of her twig searches for the fire.  This was followed by an early Easter egg hunt for the BRS, since we’re going to be out of country on the actual holiday. The BRS showed some real talent and more than a little enthusiasm when she discovered chocolate eggs were inside the eggs. (she is her mother’s child)

Sliver Removal Operations

Followed by Easter Egg Hunt

Serious Enthusiasm

She Found Every Single One
Another one of those weekends that I didn’t want to end that have been all too rare during the pandemic. 2021 continues to improve with possibilities though; on Friday we’re off to New Jersey to spend some time with my daughter’s family. The FBR didn’t look very pleased that we were having so much fun without her this past weekend. As I said, 2021 is already better than all of 2020. Of course, that wasn’t too difficult to accomplish.

End of the Hunt

So Much Fun

BR3 Can Now Pull Herself to Standing Position

I Did Get to Hold her a Couple Times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment