Friday, March 19, 2021

Double Tapped

Most of my military friends will recognize the title phrase as indicating two shots being employed. This usually doesn’t apply to the medical field, except for the after effects, but I’m waxing a bit poetic today. Yesterday I attained double tap status as I received my second Covid vaccination shot. To increase the celebratory mood, Soxfather also received his second shot in Rhode Island. Great Aunt always says it’s like Soxfather and I share the same brain so this injection conjunction was appropriate. I’m not feeling any of the purported after effects following the second shot (fingers firmly crossed in that regard). This gives us some truly relevant reasons to celebrate this, the First Friday of the Week (not that any additional motivation was required).

Waiting my 15 minutes After the Shot
After the shot I was directed to a local box store where my Favorite Panamanian had found a new exercise cycle she wanted to give me for Father’s Day. I know, that’s in June, more on that later. My daughter and Wingman recently purchased one of those high-speed Peloton bikes and we looked into those but we didn’t see the justification for the added expense since I probably wouldn’t use many of the features. The one I found at the box store was perfect. The new bike does have a computer screen in front and can display trails to ride down which is all I really wanted. My current bike is over twenty years old and should have been melted down a few years ago, Since I ride the bike five days out of seven my wife thought it would be a good gift. It isn’t, it’s a great gift! It was interesting maneuvering the heavy box down into the basement but I counted that as part of the first workout. Unfortunately, my wife invoked the same rule I employ when I buy her gifts ahead of time. I can’t open the box until Father’s Day. At least I get some payback with some Mother’s Day jewelry that should arrive today.

The Eventual New Bike
My dotage continues unabated. Last night I was stocking the refrigerator with beer (again – IT IS FIRST FRIDAY!) Sorry, back from my jig dancing. Anyways, I tried to put too many cans in my arms and one dropped to the garage floor. I didn’t think much of it at the time although I did wonder what the hissing sound was. I found out when I picked the fallen can up only to have it spray a goodly portion of its contents directly into my face. While I mourned the loss of this gallant soldier, after getting the beers secured, I had to go upstairs to the marital bed smelling like the proverbial brewery. I anticipated some serious questions from the spousal unit about that situation so I quickly assured her I wasn’t imbibing on a school night.

FBR in What I call, "Disney Thrall"

All is Well in BR3's World

FBR Acquired some St Patty's Day Beads
The second episode confirming my descent into senility was this morning’s swim workout. As I got out of the car to walk into the Y, I noticed I hadn’t put my shoes on but was still wearing my bedroom slippers. The cool thing about these situations is that I have the ready-made excuse of my age to explain away my mistakes. So far, it’s working. Sadly, I did pass by way more cute females in the walk into the Y than I do usually. Fate can be cruel. I’m sure this will offer ample fodder for the Cantankerous Friend to launch one of his patented opinion pieces as to my mental faculties. I think he’s trying to prevent me to learn the details of an unreported bicycle accident he was involved in that he’s trying to cover up. The truth will eventually set us free.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Kindergarten Friend – friend since kindergarten whom I reunited with after many years; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives /friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment