Thursday, October 1, 2020

D-Day + 6

Better and better. The advice I’ve gotten from friends who’ve been through this same experience has borne out exactly as they predicted. I wake up each day feeling noticeably better than the previous day. I’ve also gotten used to having that tube hanging out of my nether regions to the point I “almost” don’t notice it. I experienced something over night that hasn’t happened in over a decade. My prostate’s growth over the past decade insured I had to rise at least twice a night for a rest room break. I always figured this was just part of getting old, not realizing it was trying to tell me something. Last night I had an uninterrupted sleep for nearly seven hours, unheard of. Of course, looking at the size of the deposit in the catheter bag made me understand why the nocturnal visits will probably return. So there, see, I said something nice about the Foley catheter.

Heading out to Walk This Morning

One of the things I didn’t fully describe was the removal of drain when I was being discharged from the hospital. It was a very quick process but the momentary pain was almost religious in level. If you have to go through this in the future be prepared for that but like I said it was quick and provides a very exotic pain from deep inside your body from wherever the anchor point is yanked off.

My Get Well Card

I’m really enjoying my six daily walks. My Favorite Panamanian has allowed me to accomplish them alone on a couple of occasions. That was another of the frustrating aspects to this September of discontent. I spent a lot of time earlier in the year losing weight and had finally gotten rid of the gut I’d carried around for the last few years. One of the immediate results of the surgery is a swollen belly. Now I can’t work out at all for at least six weeks so I’m looking at these walks as my opportunity to stay in some kind of shape, pushing myself a little harder each time I’m out there. Last evening, I was coming in from my last walk and picked up the mail to find a hand made get-well card from the BRS and BR3. Granddaughters continue to be the best medicine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment