Friday, October 16, 2020

Aging Up

Somehow, against all my efforts to the contrary, I will be reaching the age of 65 in less than a month. How the hell did that happen?! I’m reflecting on this because a couple days ago my Medicare card showed up. I now have a Medicare card! This is a sobering development for someone who still considers himself in middle age, at worst and barely out of puberty maturity wise. My delusional state took a real hit with the arrival of the card which officially proclaims me a senior citizen. Something my Cantankerous Friend has been trying to convince me of for the past few years. I guess my surgical adventures over the past month should have given me a more conclusive clue to my actual state but I’m nothing if not stubborn. This card hit pretty hard though. In accordance with my new status I’ve decided to start up delivery of the daily paper again because I’ve missed it and, hell, I’m a senior citizen now and should be expected to do odd things.

FBR Re-Creating her Family in Play Dough

The installation of the new heating system continues as these guys show up promptly at 7AM each day and work straight for eight hours. There are new pipes and gauges springing up to the point this thing looks like something out of a science fiction movie. I’ve been promised that they will finish today and we’ll have hot water in the house for the first time since Monday but they’ve been promising the hot water since Tuesday so I’ll hedge my enthusiasm.

And Learning About Washing Machines -
We'll See if this Pans Out During Teenage Years

I swung by my old office yesterday to pick up a couple items, including a huge farewell poster that a number of my former employees signed, even some of the ones I know hate me on a fundamental level. It was so weird driving into the office again for the first time in over two months. Due to the construction for the new WooSox baseball park, the roads had changed significantly. It was so good seeing some of my former co-workers though and to realize while I miss the people a lot, I don’t miss the work. After all, I’m a senior citizen now.

The Poster

My wife had an interesting encounter n the garage yesterday. I had just returned from the office to find her reorganizing and cleaning the back of the garage. She was giving me a hard time about the huge flower pot full of scrap wood destined for my style-challenged fireplace. In mid-lecture, as she was trying to educate me on my failings, a mouse jumped out of the flower pot and ran between her legs. The wood pile had been serving as its nest. I tried unsuccessfully not to laugh too hard. I’ll be buying some mouse traps in the very near future although my wife thinks it is time to invest in a cat, hmmmm.

Learning About TV Remote
Something She's Already Adept at

Speaking of the garage, 2020 struck there this morning when the garage door would only open with an assist from my foot. Since this is not the optimal solution, I called a repair company and they’ll be out tomorrow. I knew the opener was on borrowed time ever since it went through he renovation when we built a new master bedroom over the garage a couple years ago. The construction crew disconnected it and even though it worked when it was re-installed it was kind of flaky. A couple months after the reinstall one of the side springs literally exploded, sending parts flying around the garage. Luckily this happened while we were closing the door after pulling out and I didn’t realize it happened until I found some various parts embedded in the wall. It still worked so I didn’t call for a repair at the time. Last winter it was balky about opening but worked perfectly after a liberal application of WD40 (a literal must have substance for any home owner, that and duct tape, of course). The WD40 only worked for one opening this morning so I’ll get the damned thing repaired tomorrow. 2020.

Completed Another 1000 Piece Puzzle
A Very Senior Citizen Thing to Do
On the upside, yes there can be one, even in 2020, I weighed in this morning and my return to the keto diet helped me lose the seven pounds I put on during surgery recovery operations and over indulgence during same. I now weight exactly what I did going into surgery. This means - CHEAT DAY - which fortunately falls on the Frist Friday of the Week. I foresee pizza, beer, and yes, whoopie pies in my immediate future. Life is good, even in 2020.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment