Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Heating Up

It’s been another interesting week. The contractors for the new heating system are very punctual and show up at seven AM each morning which means my semi-retirement sleep plan has been impacted. They got right to work and on the first day removed the old furnace and hot water tank and started the installation of the new, more energy efficient unit. The only downside is the lack of hot water until the new system is fully operational which could be the end of the week. I was shuttling hot water from the tea heater upstairs this morning so my Favorite Panamanian could wash her hair.

BR3 Learning my Voice

I’m a little more fortunate since I have returned to the Y this week to resume my swimming workouts. I was a little nervous on Monday as I didn’t know what to expect from a severely compromised abdomen. I jumped right into the water because the life guard was kind of cute and my belly still looks cruelly ravaged with the surgical glue and scabs still present. I thought my workout was going to end as I swam the first lap because I felt some pulling from the incision areas. It wasn’t painful but it felt strange. I kept going and things loosened up and I was back to about 75% velocity by the end of the workout.

The Old System

Gone!

Awaiting the Trash Man

The New System Delivered

And Mounted, Now to Connect All those Pesky Pipes

I was a little worried about my weight because I’ve assuaged my discomfort since the surgery by completely abandoning the keto diet. I hesitantly mounted the scales on Monday, the day I returned to the diet, and found I had only gained seven pounds instead of the expected 20-25. I guess the prostate weighed a lot because I’ve been pounding down whoopie pies, cookies, devil dogs, and cake in gluttonous fashion for the past three weeks. I think the real key was finally giving up diet soda after several attempts. I’ve read that diet soda sweeteners fool the body into thinking it’s sugar so it doesn’t fully react to the keto diet. At any rate, my weekly cheat day might return sooner than I thought.

FBR With New Friend

Highlights Puzzles

The Puzzle I Completed

The FBR had a rough start to the week. She had to fight off a tough cold which had everyone nervous because, well, do I have to explain it to you deep in the clutches of Pandemia? It was just a cold and she’s back to fighting trim today and anxious to return to school. I finished off another puzzle so she immediately directed me to start another. Wingman purchased another front yard Halloween figure which the FBR fell in love with, to the point she was hugging the big green thing.

BRS Helping Abuela Clean this Past Weekend

How Could She Possibly be Scary?

I know it is probably just grandparent wishful thinking but I firmly believe BR3 now recognizes our voices when we talk via Facetime. She was so much fun this past weekend and she certainly perks up when she hears my Favorite Panamanian’s voice, but then who doesn’t? The BRS has developed what my son and her day care teachers are labeling a maniacal laugh. It could be just the lead up to Halloween but she has my son nervous with a psychotic sounding giggle which she uses like a weapon. Kids are so much fun at this age!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment