Friday, October 23, 2020

4 Weeks and Generational Shoe String Catches

It has been 4 whole weeks since my encounter with the robotic prostate remover. While I wouldn’t describe these as the shortest four weeks of my life it’s nice to feel incrementally better each day. This means in two weeks I’ll be able to lift something weighing more than ten pounds. I have a live-in weight lifting monitor who is as incredibly vigilant as she is cute. I’ve gotten back into a semblance of the shape I was prior to September. I changed my swimming workouts to mid-morning instead of first thing. I count this as a true benefit of semi-retirement and I’m usually the youngest guy in the pool. A social situation that is becoming increasingly rare.

FBR This Morning - Much Better Without Mask
My Favorite Panamanian and I watched the entire debate last night even though we’ve both already voted. It was obvious someone finally got through to the Donald because he was at least mildly coherent. I was impressed with Biden whom I’ve never been a fan of but at least he seemed presidential. It will be nice to have an adult in the White House again. Trump tried to jump on Biden’s comment about oil eventually being phased out. I actually liked that because it’s going to have to happen if we are to survive as a species. Besides, it is a finite resource where renewable energy is just that, renewable. For the first time in four years I feel a little bit of hope for the world my granddaughters will inherit. It will also be nice to see the Saudis, Venezuelans, and Russians try to eat oil they can no longer sell.

Ready for Action!
We were called this week to schedule the state supplied additional insulation for the attic space. It will be interesting to see what that combined with the new heating system does to our winter heating bills. I starting to re-think my decision to re-start having the local newspaper delivered each day. While I love reading the paper, out of the seven days since I started they failed to deliver on three of those days. How can a struggling industry accept that kind of performance?

Stylin On her Way to School
Some funny moments last evening during our granddaughter FaceTime calls. The BRS was lying down next to BR3 who looked thrilled by the attention. The BRS said she liked “patting” BR3. BR3 would grab her arm every time the BRS put it in front of her. My Favorite Son was hovering close enough to intervene if needed. I was transported in time back to when he was the same age as his youngest daughter. My wife had reluctantly left me in charge of my two kids and my impression I was doing a good job was thwarted when I saw my two-year-old daughter trying to lift her brother by his waist. I was charging across the kitchen in an attempt to keep my son’s neck intact and had to make a shoe string catch. I wonder if that is why he was hovering so close? The FBR woke us up this morning wearing a Jason Vorhees hockey mask. That was startling enough but we were reassured by her mom that it was just going to be the base of her costume. She’s going to be something called an “Oogy Boogy”. I guess I’m going to have to watch the Nightmare Before Christmas to learn all about that. 

Waving Bye to Mom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn


No comments:

Post a Comment