Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Increasingly Distant Gunfire

As my military career continues to fade into the mists of the distant past with each passing day, occasionally, I get a reminder of the life that defines my adulthood (despite those who claim I’m still trying to achieve that status). Today was a good example. Since I am now a less than proud possessor of a Medicare card, I returned to what used to be Fort Devens to renew my retiree military ID card. I expected to be there a couple hours wait but instead walked into an empty waiting room and was seen right away. This spared me seeing a bunch of Soldiers who I would think were entirely too young to be wearing the uniform. It was raining pretty hard when I got there so that may explain why no one else was there.

Wasn't Quite This Long Ago
As I was leaving, I heard the crackle of distant gunfire as there are still some active ranges at the former military post. I was transported back to the times we lived on post many times and would be lulled to sleep by the sound of artillery. I also remembered what a stone-cold bitch it was to hit the range on a rainy day as I always ended up caked in mud which resulted in a hose down in the driveway by my Favorite Panamanian before I was allowed to enter the house. Great memories but definitely a young man’s game.

BRS and BR3 Looking Incredibly Cute
I haven’t blogged in a couple days because the quarantine doesn’t offer much in the way of events to comment on. The confines of the Man Cave have become my lair and while that is not the worst location in the world to spend a quarantine it feels more and more isolated. I’ve made a couple trips to the store over the past couple days and each time I truly relished the opportunity to get out. To the Grocery store. Wow, did I just write that?!

BR3 HAs a Great Laugh, Usually When her Dad Tickles
We’re looking forward to the weekend as we’re heading up to New Hampshire to spend Halloween with my Favorite Son’s family. It will be fun to se the BRS as she can now understand all the fun involved with the spookiest day of the year. In preparation my wife has decided to make a Halloween cake with candy corn icing. We saw it together on Good Morning America and who am I to deny her the opportunity to excel in the culinary arts (as long as it doesn’t involve getting me to eat more vegetables).

BRS at Ballet Class
The canine/feline crisis seems to have abated a bit. The FBR and my Favorite Panamanian had been tag teaming trying to break down my opposition to getting a small dog. I’ve always referred to these creatures as “rats with hormone problems” and didn’t want one of those constantly yapping beasts haunting my life. I think my wife calmed down after she read that most of the small dogs are not good with small children; so, bullet dodged, for now. I’m not sure how long I could have held up under that kind of pressure. I’m hoping they’ll forget about the cat at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment