Thursday, October 22, 2020

Cabinated Living

One of the most compelling aspects of my semi-retirement has been really living the quarantine for the first time. I cannot complain because I enjoyed a lot more freedom as an “essential worker” during the most restrictive times of the pandemic. While I don’t miss the work, I miss getting out of the house every day. Although I’m developing an even more troubling attachment to the Man Cave (and who thought that was even possible?), my Favorite Panamanian’s concerns about having me around the house during her usual duty day have not materialized, mostly because I sentence myself to the cave for most of the day. I’m not saying my presence goes unnoticed however, especially since I figured out how to play bagpipe music over the Cave’s robust sound system. Sound at this level can have an almost physical presence.

The Birthday Girl and her Lady Friends
I must call attention to the fact that yesterday marked the birthday of none other than the Absolute Best Athlete in the Family. The ABFA was typically understated during our call yesterday but that could have been because she was subjected to our singing voices. The BRS tried to join in to give us a touch of class during our rendition of Happy Birthday. BR3 just looked confused at all the noise surrounding her mom. The ABFA has been one of the most welcome additions to our family, bringing her grace and a level of care that never ceases to amaze me. Now if we could just get her to like horror movies, just kidding, Hallmark Channel it is! There was some additional good news from my Favorite Son’s casa as Riggins’ psychotic episodes seem to have abated which means the clicking back yard light was probably the source of his issues.

Happy Birthday ABFA!!!!
This “getting old” scenario I find myself immersed in can have its funny moments. This morning I brought my water bottle and salt shaker to the breakfast table and promptly tried to salt my eggs with the water bottle. I fortunately made the mental correction in time that only a few drops of water diluted the eggs. I’m guessing I’ll have to start being careful when I try to multi-task. Speaking of those heading for dotage the final presidential debate is tonight. It will be interesting to see Trump’s reaction when they cut off his mike so he can’t interrupt. I’m guessing he’ll either raise his voice or try to commandeer Biden’s mike. Less than two weeks to election day!

Finished Another Puzzle - Told you I spent a Lot of Time in Cave!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment