Friday, October 30, 2020

Well Isn’t That Just Perfect

I like the first snow as much as anyone who grew up in New England. It’s a sign of the arrival of winter and, for me, a sign of Christmas!! I would posit that October is way too early for the white stuff to fall and impact but then again, this is 2020, so not unexpected. I awoke to find the yard coated and decided that flip flops were not going to be the shoe of choice for my swimming workout this morning. I took my wife’s Highlander instead of the Camry which turned out to be a wise choice. When I came out of the Y the snow continued to fall with a lot of vigor and the streets hadn’t been touched by plows since last winter. I had a couple other errands to run including stopping by my old office for a short visit. The new Highlander was excellent on the snowy roads and most of the flatlanders who cause so much trouble during the first part of most winters were not on the road. 2020.

Deckzilla When I woke Up

When I returned from the Y

We awoke this morning to a call from the FBR featuring her face in heavy mermaid makeup. This was not a visage for the faint of heart but she looked very cute in preparation for her pre-school’s Halloween party. The big guns come out tomorrow with her Oogie Boogie costume. The BRS was in high voice last night during our call. She loves to re-arrange the kitchen drawers which my son said he didn’t mind because she has some OCD tendencies and keeps everything in separate piles. Last night there was a disagreement with dad over her attempt to help wash the dishes. She took serious issue with not being allowed to wash a very sharp fruit slicer. She pleaded with her dad and even used what she thought the magic word was, “Please”. In the end he convinced her that keeping all ten fingers was a higher priority than her need to clean.

BRS & BR3 Being Sisterly

What is it With My Granddaughters and Unicorns?
I had to send a very difficult email this morning. Long time readers of Frail Deeds know how much I cherish the annual Thanksgiving gathering of relatives from my father’s side of the family. It’s a tradition that predates my birth and has been in continuous operation since at least the 1930s. After being battered by news of how dangerous these type gatherings would be this year I finally let the cousin in chief know that we wouldn’t be coming. I knew this a couple weeks ago but I guess I was hoping for some remarkable cure to descend from the heavens before turkey day (kind of like our president). It really hurt to send that message.

Keene Friend and I with Pittsburgh Celebrity (r)
A Few Years Ago
Also, a very happy birthday to the Pittsburgh College Roommate who gets to turn 65 today, well ahead of me. We’ve been friends since being in the same division (6-2) in 6th grade. He was one of the first friends to reach out to me after my prostate diagnosis and that meant a lot. He’s a true friend and still allows Keene Friend and I a prime position in his orbit as a minor celebrity in Pittsburgh. You had to be tailgating with us at Gillette Stadium a few years ago to understand that reference.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment