Wednesday, September 30, 2020

D-Day + 5

Another day down heading toward catheter removal which is what my life is defined by now. I had a few friends reach out to me on social media who take issue with denigration of the whole Foley catheter experience that I’ve been writing about. They thought I was a bit too harsh and that they had welcomed the catheter after procedures of their own for the relief it provided. I can only guess that the experience dulls over time and looking back can make it seem more romantic than actually going through it is. I can’t wait to get rid of this damned thing.

This Morning's Walks Were Back Inside Because of Rain
I loved getting outside yesterday for my walks and had a couple conversations with the neighborhood mafiosos during my treks. My Favorite Panamanian insists on accompanying me on these walks. I’m not sure if she thinks I’ll get lost (the old infantryman in me takes serious umbrage to that) or if I’ll make a break for it. I did mention the presence of the Foley catheter didn’t I? So that wasn’t happening. It turned out to be a series of very nice walks together.

Spirit Day at FBR's Pre-School and She Wore a Brady Jersey!
The nurse suggested solution to shoulder pain from sleeping on my back was a failure. Putting the pillow under my knees just made it harder to get to sleep and when I awoke I had the same shoulder pain as before. My Favorite Panamanian, who has truly distinguished herself over the past few days came up with a solution. The abdominal pain has abated to the point I can now turn a little bit onto my side without getting on top of catheter hose. She then braced a pillow behind me so I wouldn’t slip onto my back once I fell asleep. I got the best sleep since returning home in this position.

Today was Contrast Day Where Nothing Could Match
I’m experiencing what was promised by my friends who had ben through this before me. Each day I feel stronger and there is less pain. The only side show are the bowel movements. The doctor has me on some laxatives to make sure everything got back into working order after the major abdominal intrusion. The problem is that it seems to be working a little too well. The only serious pain I’m experiencing is trying to keep things stopped up until I can make to it to the loo. I know. Too much information. The visiting nurse is stopping by again today so I’ll check with her about stopping the laxatives.

My Princess in Multicolored Sneaks!


I watched the presidential “debate” last night and was embarrassed for my country. There wasn’t a single presidential moment in the entire sad program. Trump had a chance to use the power of his position to disabuse the impression of himself he claims is a product of fake news. Instead he not only validated it he made himself look like an illiterate thug who was placed in a social situation that confused and enraged him. Sad but thoroughly expected.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECURRING CHARACTERS                                           

BR3 – granddaughter #3, BRS - Blog Reader the Sequel - second granddaughter; FBR - First Blog Reader - first granddaughter, ABFA – Amazing Best Family Athlete = my daughter in law; Wingman – my son in law; Keene Friends 1 & 2 – friends since high school from my home town of Keene, NH; Soxfather - my brother in law; Great Aunt - my elder sister; Cantankerous Friend – friend since grade school who likes to argue about everything, poses as radical leftist to attract women; Pittsburgh College Roommate – high school friend, also a “Minor Celebrity” in Pittsburgh; Deckzilla – our backyard deck which grew to monstrous dimensions once my wife got involved in planning; Maine and Virginia Musqueteras – two close friends of my wife – her US sisters, my wife is the 3rd musquetera (musketeer); Riggins - also known as the Grandpuppy, son's dog; PanaGals – female relatives/friends of my wife from Panama; Panamanian/Latin Mafia – inevitable group of Latino friends my wife accumulates wherever we have lived & their spouses; Neighborhood Mafioso - wife's close friend and Panamanian mafia member, Favorite Panamanian - the wife (of course); First Friday – celebrations to mark the First Friday of the Week; Curbside Girls – close friends of my daughter acquired during her single days in Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment